[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decent books about/discussing ARGs (Alternate Reality Games)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
I'm researching this topic and currently compiling a list of interesting items (pic related).

Can you recommend some books in this area /lit/?
>>
>>7835314
I've actually been wondering that myself. My big problem is that that stuff seems to loosely fall into the scifi genre and scifi almost never has beautiful prose. Anyone know an ARG book with beautiful prose?
>>
File: the_institute.jpg (441 KB, 864x1280) Image search: [Google]
the_institute.jpg
441 KB, 864x1280
>>7835318

Try 'The Institute'. It's not a book but a motion picture documentary about an ARG but the storytelling approach impressed me nevertheless(pic related).

I just started looking around and enjoy well written prose but am more interested in twisted plot settings or interesting storytelling approaches that mix reality and fiction.

It doesn't have to be science fiction... if there are classics that deal with that topic, I'd like to know too.
>>
>>7835366
I guess Philip K Dick may work - he's not directly about games, but more about reality vs. virtual reality, Ubik would be the prime example.

Similarly, Stanislav Lem has a lot about virtual reality (he wrote a ton of unread non-fiction about it, too). Maybe The Futurological Congress?

The only two novels I can think of that directly involve virtual games are bad - Ready Player One (absolute wish-fulfillment trash), Snowcrash (outdated, cheesy fun).
>>
>>7835383
I really need to get my hands on some Lem. Solaris and The Futurological Congress both sound amazing from the excerpts I've read. Any other writers like him? (SciFi but with a bit more of a Romantic and ornamented style.)
>>
>>7835405
>The Futurological Congress
Recently came out a loose motion/animated picture adaptation of it. Excellent animation, though the script and its treatment of the themes are beyond awful.
>>
>>7835435
This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Congress_%282013_film%29

Another thing that connects Lem and Dick (except that Dick thought that Lem was not a person, but a Communist committee publishing books to influence the west) is that both suffer from many awful movie adaptations. Remember Screamers? Paycheck?
>>
>>7835314
The Otherland series by Tad Williams.
>>
File: pkd.jpg (132 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pkd.jpg
132 KB, 1024x768
>>7835438
Yes, that's the one. Has very little to do with the book, as the article says, but neither did Blade Runner so that's no excuse...
>except that Dick thought that Lem was not a person
He'll be served right for his silliness when future generations start to genuinely believe he was a robot
>>
File: rea_vs_aug.jpg (69 KB, 898x694) Image search: [Google]
rea_vs_aug.jpg
69 KB, 898x694
>>7835383
Thanks. I just moved Ubik to my reader and will check it out later today.

I didn't know Lem wrote non-fiction.

Still wondering why the blending/mix of reality and fiction isn't a more popular topic. Mh.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.