[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inquisition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Pavel Pokidyshev.jpg (427 KB, 700x661) Image search: [Google]
Pavel Pokidyshev.jpg
427 KB, 700x661
Ok lit, name your top two favorite authors and your top two favorite composers, now
>>
Tolstoy, Dante and Eminem.
>>
>>7835075
>Herman Melville
>Anais Nin (only the journals)

>JS Bach
>Gabriel Fauré

Ok, now what happens?
>>
>>7835076
why is the first bost always the rightest??
>>
>>7835077
we backpat for good taste, you like organs huh?
>>
>>7835075
Bukowski and Shakespeare
Bach and Beethoven
>>
>>7835077
Hey, where do you recommend starting with the journals? I read two books by Henry Miller in two days and was intrigued by that dame. I'm also in the middle of reading Bukowski's letters with Sheri Martinelli, who was one of her protegees.
>>
>>7835089
In all honesty the journals are unbelievably consistent. You can start anywhere. Even her journals from when she was fucking eleven still have her characteristic mixture of a dreamy thirst for knowledge and EXTREME (yet kind of endearing) solipsism.
I guess you could start with the original Journal of Anais Nin Volume 1, though honestly any of the journals you can get your hands on are great. (And they're still publishing new ones!)
>>
>>7835100
You're probably a rapist.
>>
Whitman and Wallace.
Bach and Tchaikovsky.
>>
File: Exarchopoulos.jpg (41 KB, 459x650) Image search: [Google]
Exarchopoulos.jpg
41 KB, 459x650
>>7835095
Neat, I'll check them out. She's always seemed like a dream girl.
>>
>>7835075
Nietzsche and Dostoevsky
Brahms and Scriabin, Rachmaninoff on rainy days
>>
>>7835075
Cormac McCarthy and Rainer Maria Rilke

Zoltan Kodaly and Frederic Chopin
>>
Knut Hamsun and Gustave Flaubert

Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev.
>>
>>7835130
Any of his books worth checking out besides Hunger? I found Mysteries to be a little dull.
>>
>>7835110
Yup she's quite a figure. Not that you need it to understand the journals, but her biography by Deirdre Bair is pretty damn great.
>>7835132
Victoria is a sad, little love story, and one of my favorites of his. Growth of the Soil is amazing, but I can see how it could be interpreted as dull as well. Hamsun wasn't much for action. Most of his books are just about people hanging around and thinking.
But definitely give Victoria a try. It's short.
>>
>>7835138
All right, I'll give Victoria a go on this LAX -> LHR flight I've got coming up. I actually have a copy of Growth of the Soil but haven't felt much of a drive to read it.
>>
>>7835148
Here's an excerpt from GotS if it helps:

In the wilds every season has its wonders, but there is always something unchanging: the immense, heavy sound of heaven and earth, the sense of being surrounded on every side, the darkness of the forest, the friendliness of the trees. Everything is heavy and soft, no thought is impossible there. North of Sellanra there was a tiny little tarn, a puddle, no bigger than an aquarium. Swimming around in it were little baby fish which never grew bigger; they lived and died there and were no use at all.
>>
File: try me.jpg (320 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
try me.jpg
320 KB, 900x1200
>>7835075
Beckett, Pynchon
Rachmaninov, Koji Kondo
>>
Pinecone, Wharton

Tchaikovsky, Smetana
>>
>>7835075
Camus and Proust

Chopin and John Williams
>>
Boris Vian, Shakespeare (or maybe Goethe)
Tchaikovsky (or maybe Chopin), Gavin Bryars
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.