[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you want to read everything in your backlog at the same
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 395x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 395x350
>tfw you want to read everything in your backlog at the same time

help me
>>
File: 1451366470664.jpg (38 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
1451366470664.jpg
38 KB, 500x407
>tfw you are reading everything in your backlog at the same time
>>
>start reading one thing
>interest wanders to another
>skim read last half of book i'm currently reading to get to the next
>mfw it's an infinite cycle
>>
>>7835202
>>mfw it's an infinite cycle
Hey that's the same word as in The Infinite Jest... have you read David Foster Wallace?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453830438873.jpg (39 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453830438873.jpg
39 KB, 720x720
>tfw you are no longer interested in any of the books in your backlog
>>
>>7835561
Damn..
>>
File: 2265771.jpg (35 KB, 450x336) Image search: [Google]
2265771.jpg
35 KB, 450x336
>tfw you're embarassed of people friends seeing the size of your backlog because they will think you're a phony
>>
>reading multiple books at once
>go to sleep
>dream narrative mixes together the plots in all the books I'm reading
>wake up
>continue reading a book
>"wait, did that happen in this book or that other book"
>>
>>7835632

Let animal friends see instead.
>>
File: bracket.gif (6 KB, 900x662) Image search: [Google]
bracket.gif
6 KB, 900x662
>>7834810

BOOKetoLOGy
BRACKET THAT BRACKLOG
BACKET THOSE BOOKS
BOOKET THAT BOOKLOG

>be you
>too many books
>top 64
>rapid grouping by geography, length, whatever makes sense for your list
>swap around titles for tough matchups
>yfw backlog becomes frontlog
>>
>>7835649
lol
>>
>start reading a book from my backlog
>it's not interesting as expected
>want to start another, but still want to finish the first one
>end up doing nothing

>>7835724
Just pick a top 3 or top 5 that interest you the most at this point and make a strawpoll
>>
>>7834810
do you have autism or adhd, anon? genuine question.
>>
>>7835918
I've never been diagnosed with either but some kind of attention disorder seems more likely. Most likely I've just been playing too many video games the past few months since I got a ps4.
I read a decent amount last year but I haven't finished a single book since December, I read a chapter or two, next day I just want to read something else. Hopefully I can get back in the lit game soon.
>>
>>7835649
This happens to me about every other week
>>
>>7835561
What do you even do at this point other than just exist
>>
>>7835649
I'd hate this to happen after the first time.
>>
>>7835966
Wait until you find something you want to read again.
>>
>>7835960
Y'know, anon, don't force yourself into it. It's not so enjoyable if reading feels like a chore you need to commit to. I kinda swing through phases myself: currently on a literature binge but I'll find myself doing nothing but watching films or playing vidya for nearly whole seasons out of the year.
>>
>>7835979
I do that too, but I have actually been enjoying what I'm reading I just want to read basically everything on my shelves right now and I can't make up my mind so I never end up finishing anything. It's always been a problem to a certain extent but it feels like it's been worse than usual. I'll just ride the storm out I suppose.
>>
>>7835998
If I'm in that boat, I tend to find myself reading more of the shorter works I have, books around 100-200 pages so then I can finish them in a week (Depending on how busy you are, of course) and then I'm likely to get through more books, finishing them quicker than I would something thicker.
>>
>>7836007
That's something that was in the back of my mind, I've been more interested in reading longer works lately which is part of the problem. I'll probably give that a try though.
Thanks for the encouragement anon.
>>
>tfw the backlog grows faster than your ability to read
>>
>>7836023
No worries, anon, I do understand the temptation of seeing my bookshelf and judging what I want to read next while I'm still mid-way in my current book. Reading more of your backlog in the form of shorter works tends to satisfy that mood for me and I hope it works for you too.
>>
>>7836044
:(
>>
File: abandon-book.png (407 KB, 599x521) Image search: [Google]
abandon-book.png
407 KB, 599x521
When do you abandon a book?
>>
>>7834810
>tfw you want to read everything in your backlog at the same time and eventually manage to get yourself to just pick one which you enjoy for a time until the lurking thought comes in that maybe there was this other book in the backlog that you'd rather read, but you have to stick it through to the end of this one because that's what you set out to do, even if you slowly start to dislike it based solely on the fact that the voice in your head is saying that you ought to be reading this "other" book that, when you finally get the chance to read, you realize that maybe you don't and that maybe you don't know what you want to read at all, putting you back at the start of this torment save for this one book that you've just read and disrespected because you rushed; because you thought that at the time it was a mistake; because you realize that you can't make choices; you can only make mistakes
>>
File: 1458435453663.jpg (52 KB, 600x464) Image search: [Google]
1458435453663.jpg
52 KB, 600x464
You act like this because you want to feel like you have read all these books, not because you actually want to read every single book. In the simplest way to put it.

If you're not interested in the book you're currently reading, you can either approach this as "I will read it anyway" or do as I do, I read what I feel like, and eventually I start to get interested in reading that first book.
>>
>>7837606
Never.
>>
>>7835227
AKA Big Dave?
>>
>>7837649
But I do want to read all these books.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.