[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is beauty to you, /lit/? Do you ever encounter beauty in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: sophocles.jpg (61 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
sophocles.jpg
61 KB, 375x500
What is beauty to you, /lit/?

Do you ever encounter beauty in your reading?
>>
>What is beauty to you, /lit/?
bussy

>Do you ever encounter beauty in your reading?
no :(
>>
>>7834097
beauty is looking at a girl sleeping on my bed with my cum dried on her face.

So no, I don't encounter it in literature very often. I mostly read to appear intelligent, picking up quotes by famous authors and ancient wise men to drop on people in debate IRL. America's amazing like that, even in the lower echelons of academia people actually think you are intelligent if you can cite shit you've read offhand because nobody reads books here.
>>
something that doesn't make sense in the logical world, not nonsensical but indescribable

yes
>>
>>7834170

Something along these lines. Something that, when I see it, makes me want to abandon the idea of "logic" or thinking rationally for at least a little while and just let it overtake me in pure feeling.
>>
Beauty is inseparable with the sublime to me. The only things that inspire beauty are incalculably complex, unreachable, or in some way reminds me of my own insignificance.
>>
>tfw you strive for your writing to be beautiful
>tfw sometimes you feel like you achieve it
>>
low lying fast moving clouds in the foreground, a bright moon in the background. sublime.
>>
>>7834097
Beauty present is in everything the human mind can perceive, from the lowly to the terrific, because beauty is a quality of the human mind.
>>
>>7834097
>What is beauty to you, /lit/?
Comrades on a battlefield striving towards a common goal, overcoming great foes together and dying in each others' arms against even greater foes. The act of striving, heroic deeds, guardianship, and redemption.

Death and the inherent tragic quality of life. Great, inevitable tragedies in which no small moral injection of the author can be traced, and all aspects of the tragedy are harmonious and worthy of reverence.

The solitary shunned by his people who nonetheless sacrifices himself for a greater goal, a goal beyond himself which redeems everything in the world, holding within him a deep love for all things in the universe.

The culture that places the creation above the creator.

The image of the universe as depicted at the very end of Nietzsche's Will to Power. That "monster of energy, without beginning, without end; a firm, iron magnitude of force that does not grow bigger or smaller, that does not expend itself but only transforms itself."

Qualities related to youth. Starry eyed dreaminess, that innocent curiosity and desire to share with all.

The monolithic statues of past idols who stand hard and impenetrable, deserving of the utmost respect. Individuals who feel in them a deep reverence for the hardened masters of the past.

All things written in blood. All things intoxicating and dangerous. All things under the sun, all things under the moon, and all things made of gold.
>>
>BEAUTY
>STILL NO MISHIMA MENTIONED
PLEBS
>>
>>7834113
you disgust me but you're completely right. take my upboat.
>>
Anything which in some way uplifts us from the world and reminds our spirit of its origin beyond it. This is the difference between true beauty and debased pleasure.
>>
>>7834097
There are two different kinds of beauty for me. The beauty you can see in a human and the one you can see in nature. Human beauty is primarily sexual and aesthetic, while natural beauty is synonymous with the sublime.

You can imagine both through literature.
>>
>>7834097
beauty is something that gifts me with pain
>>
>>7835594
This. Someone post Mishima here ASAP.
>>
>>7834097

Something you're programmed to like for practical reasons.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.