[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am trying to write a fantasy story, I am a complete amateu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 11362.jpg (233 KB, 1200x818) Image search: [Google]
11362.jpg
233 KB, 1200x818
I am trying to write a fantasy story, I am a complete amateur and not a very good writer and my plot is all over the place. However, any opinion on it is needed, be as honest as you possibly can please. And yes, I'm a fucking idiot. (not even sure why I'm doing this, because I'm drunk probably, whatever, ready for a beasting anyway)

(image not related, just looks cool)

https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/32216573-a-realm-of-kings-and-gods
>>
>>7833518
read 2 sentences, u forgot a basic comma.
>>
>>7833518
Your English is a little rusty, and you misuse a word here or there, but you've produced a more substantial body of work towards completing a novel than I myself ever have.

Your persistence makes me ashamed that I have thought about writing for so long, but have simply produced fragment after countless fragment.

The fact that you are not yet skilled but persist makes me both mildly frustrated and more hopeful for myself.

Writing is a craft, and so it must be learned.
There are many here who would dissuade you from writing, but if you've got the attention span and will to actually write six chapters then I don't imagine you're half as neurotic or easily dissuaded as I.
>>
>>7833518
I only read a bit, but it doesn't seem any worse than the fantasy shill that gets published. There are grammatical mistakes, but that's to be expected for something that hasn't been edited.

Can't say I see much skill or promise, but hey you're actually writing which is probably more than most people on this board can say. I would suggest reading varied, quality books. It may help with your bland writing style.
>>
Some words are redundant and needs a good clean up but the work does show. There are stylistic choices which is probably relatively amateurish so as recommended above reading other people's work would be good. Not that you can't do it but it makes it a bit silly so you have to decide to either be serious about your setting or ironically silly.
>>
>>7834641
>Some words are redundant
Seconding this.
>>
As this is the first thread I saw, which could be filled my people who are actually writing.
I wrote start writing a book some months ago (no fantasy). I stopped at page 17 and so today I wanted to go ahead with it.
I wrote one word and then fucking collapsed.
I really don't know why, I just could'n write more.
So as the german I am I went to the gas stop and bought some beer and cigarettes and now I am waiting for me to get in mood.
Do you know this feeling? Should I be worried about this?
>>7833518
I didn't read it, mostly because of the lack of an account than of interest. But I tell you to go ahead with it. The introduction was enough to tell you to do it. Even if I am foreign.
>>
>>7834738
force yourself to write. it will be difficult at first but will get easier. it is like exercising a muscle that grows stronger.
don't worry about making something great. you are writing a rough draft. you can edit it later.
>>
>>7834798
I have another way to think about this.
Thats not the first book I wrote. I started a fantasy book and stoppen after the first 2 chapters because of lack of interest. Then I wrote some short stories and some poems.
I worry more about the alcohol and cigs I need to write a novel, which is based on people I actually know and use as bascis for the characters I build up for the novel.
Also I am a fan of fast, one shot-written pieces like "fear and loathing" and "on the road".
>>
>>7833518

First off, hats off to you for getting off your ass (or sitting on it) and typing out what's on your mind. You're 10 steps ahead of every 'patrician' on this board.

I'm skimming the pieces that are view-able through the websites sign up feature and this reads a lot like Game of Thrones.

I'm not sure if it's a common trope of period piece novels to informally describe a character as 'Broad of shoulder' or 'Black of hair' but that, coupled with the fact of there being a character referred to as 'Hand,' reads very much like a GoT clone.

I can tell you're inspired, and that's good, but aim to write in a way such that a reader would have no difficulty describing your piece separately from GoT.

Also, pick a more meaningful title, or leave it blank untitled until you feel you've found one that fits more appropriately with your established synopsis and proposed themes.
>>
>>7834834
neither fear an loathing nor on the road were written in one shot. spontaneous brilliance for novel length work, or even a long poem like howl, is pretty much a myth. don't use it as an excuse for not learning how to rewrite and edit beause those are the skills that you will need if you want to make progress as a writer instead of remaining a hobbyist on wattpad.
>>
>>7835017
Well, ofter reread and do some edit. But it's pretty hard to get in the feels I had when I wrote it the first time. So it's hard to do an edit, I wont find myself not fitting. Of course I work over grammatics and do some word rewriting for asthetics but i wont fit in a complete scentens.
Okay, it's my first novel, in the "real world" but I really want to express myself with it. Thats mainly why I am writing.
I often get short stories of people I know, not for editing but just for reading it. And so do I. I really want to improve, but it is small room between for beeing a good writer between express yourself the fuck you want and writing in a way everyone can understand.
I am making music since 11 years and it is exactly the same thing there.
>>
File: Zdzisław Beksiński - 124.jpg (67 KB, 482x600) Image search: [Google]
Zdzisław Beksiński - 124.jpg
67 KB, 482x600
Congrats mate on actually going through with something.
Never design a cover ever again.
>>
>>7834849
The problem is is that I wrote this before I even read or even watched the Game of Thrones series.

>>7835264
I kind of nicked the cover for now, I'll make my own (or ask someone to) someday!

Otherwise, thanks for this everyone, I'll think upon this more than have otherwise!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.