[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a more insane opening sentence than "From a little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: it came from the absalom.jpg (28 KB, 310x450) Image search: [Google]
it came from the absalom.jpg
28 KB, 310x450
Is there a more insane opening sentence than

"From a little after two o'clock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that — a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes which Quentin thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them."
>>
The opening sentence of The Bill by Krasznahorkai is unbelievable.
>>
Damn OP. I've yet to read Faulker, but this board is always showering him with adulations. This is really great.
>>
>>7831956
Call me israel :D :DDDD
>>
>>7831995
>tfw I knew a guy who would write "Call me Ishmael" whenever he had to wear one of those "Hello my name is..." tags.
>>
>>7832004
Was his name Ishmael?
>>
>And then he turned into a cockroach!
>>
>>7831962
I just finished the Sound and the Fury and it was amazing, from start to finish. His prose is masterful and Faulkner has a way of seeing what nobody else would see. There are a few guides to starting with Faulkner but I'd recommend As I Lay Dying. Even after TSatF, I think AILD is actually condensed genius.

I've never actually had an author whose works I wanted to read one after the other, I tend to give myself a break between styles but Faulkner's is just so, so beautiful.
>>
>>7831956
>But I don't hate this book
>I don't. I don't! I don't hate it! I don't hate it!
>>
>>7831956
Dislike him. Writer of corncobby chronicles. To consider them masterpieces is an absurd delusion. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me.
>>
>>7833407
Go home McCarthy, you're drunk on mescal.
>>
>>7831956
fuck thats pretty good
only read sound and the fury a few years ago

absolutely loved it but jsut haven't gotten around to reading his other stuff yet (besides a few short stories (which i didn't love))

is that quentin as in quentin compson? i know faulkner likes to reuse characters and setting
>>
>>7833873
Yep, this is the same character.
>>
>>7833614
Is this some new meme I'm not getting?
>>
>>7834597
*spits*
>>
>>7833614
Anon, don't you mean NOBAKAV??
>>
>>7831956
I've never thought there was a more overrated writer from his milieu.
>>
>>7833396
Abysmally underrated post
>>
>>7831956
Please don't bash my English (Frenchman here) but what is amazing about the opening, is it Faulkners prose?
>>
>>7834855
For me it's the imagery that sentence evokes, haven't read the novel but I've read the opening page a couple times before.
>>
>>7834597
*rides on*
>>
>>7834868
and then
>>
>>7834870
they rode on
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.