[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay lit:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: buyingbook-storebook-shop-E6AXEM.jpg (204 KB, 1300x1011) Image search: [Google]
buyingbook-storebook-shop-E6AXEM.jpg
204 KB, 1300x1011
I like buying books but I don't like reading them, I used to love reading in elementary through high school. I have my favorite books, I even tend to buy a certain type of book, I sometimes start them, but most times I don't. I even like the ones I start, I just never finish them. I just like filling up the shelves more than anything. IDK maybe I like the idea of being a reader.

How do I fix this?
>>
shitpost on /lit/ about it. great start
>>
>>7830534
I'm serious, I feel like I like the concept of reading more than the act of it.
>>
please?
>>
dont worry op, no one actually enjoys reading. reading is all about social status and projecting an image of sophistication so people will respect you and maybe fuck you. most "readers" will be unable to remember the details of 99% of the books they've read because they don't have any interest in them at all, they read for the sake of being able to say they've read.
>>
File: 800px-Dixonfp.jpg (180 KB, 800x1165) Image search: [Google]
800px-Dixonfp.jpg
180 KB, 800x1165
>>7830561
accept it, just try to read more. you can try telling yourself you won't buy another until you've read one and see where that gets you but it likely won't work. for me its a collecting thing - i've always had the impulse to collect things and since my adolescence its been books. I read most of them but I'll always buy ones I'll never read.
>>7830776
>>>/lit/ - Literature
>>
File: infinite jest.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
infinite jest.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>7830527
how are you writing this with zero shame? you're a disgusting trash pseud poseur, you can't fix that
>>
>>7830807
>>7830790

This is every book I've started and not finished, give or take like 4 I've finished. I have a shelf full of books I haven't opened as well, I've made it about half way though each, idk what to do I love the idea of books like I said but I can't finish them. Like I love collecting them but I can't finish them.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7830832
Forgot the picture
>>
File: tumblr_nh6bkoIfhH1r7m9kyo2_540.jpg (68 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nh6bkoIfhH1r7m9kyo2_540.jpg
68 KB, 540x540
>>7830839
lol even your fake taste is nauseatingly bad

this is b8 crafted specifically for me
>>
>>7830856
What's bad about it? the Bell Jar is my favorite and that's a classic, I know some books are super high school-y but that's when I got them. IDK I really enjoyed Sex Drugs and Coco Puffs, and I read 1Q84 last year and really enjoyed it, so if that help. I really do want to get into reading so if that could help is great. I prefer shot stories like Palo Alto for example.
>>
>>7830839

what a terrible shelf, should burn most of them, embarrassing desu. The problem isn't the books though it's you, i hope you can fix that problem.
>>
>>7830790
>tfw you cant even afford used books
>tfw you have a shelf of books you've read over a dozen times each
>>
File: sergeenko.jpg (379 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
sergeenko.jpg
379 KB, 800x533
>>7830884
god damn it don't be so cute

what advice do you want? just read the books. that is literally all you need to do. turn the computer off and read
>>
>>7830957
I do I travel a lot, which is why I always get so many books. And I read on the plane, it's just a matter of I get reading fatigue. Like I can read for 2 hours of a 4 hour flight and then I just get bored and go to sleep for the rest of the flight. I don't know my biggest problem is that I can't read for long periods of time I guess? At the star of new year I was reading an hour a day but I feel out of that habit, and yeah I'd get wrapped up in the story, but I'd get tired halfway through or get kinda distracted. I don't really know how to explain it.

I guess my problem is a lack of focus? If that makes sense? I like reading, and yes the books are great but I don't know how to do it, also I'm super overwhelmed by the idea of reading, I have tons of books that I want to buy on my amazon wishlist and I know i'll never read most of them. But like I said I feel like that's more my collectors element.

I like shot stories, because they're digestible so if you could rec me some like that that'd be great. I like books that feel like the Bell Jar but more modern in a way. So like Lesley Arfin's Dear Diary but with better writing.

IDK I guess I'm a casual reader trying to go formal?
>>
>>7831004
Start with the greeks
>>
>>7830957
>>
>>7830884

>I can't finish a book
>btw I read IQ84

Isn't that book long as fuck though? lol
>>
>>7831092
I read it for an ex, it was her favorite book.
>>
>>7831095

Oh, gotcha.

>>7831004

>IDK I guess I'm a casual reader trying to go formal?

All you gotta do is just read more. Also, this-
>>7831057
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.