[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes back into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: 800px-Nietzsche187a.jpg (188 KB, 800x1085) Image search: [Google]
800px-Nietzsche187a.jpg
188 KB, 800x1085
>"if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes back into you."

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7829248
It's an analogy for men who support feminism.
>>
Nothing. Everything is an interpretation and nothing is real, how can anything be "meant"?
>>
>>7829248
a man who fights monsters will become a monster himself.
>>
He was looking at your mom's fuckhole
>>
>>7829262
there's your answer op. now, /thread.
>>
>>7829264
apologize for insulting his mother you freudian faggot
>>
>>7829261
I'm asking what his interpretation is i guess.
>>
>>7829264
Apologize. Now.
>>
It means if you get a really powerful telescope and look through it you'll see the back of your own head.
>>
>>7829248
Let abyss := mirror.
>>
it means that if ur an edgelord then the abyss is liek a mirror
>>
>>7829248
>lest ye become the monster ye hunt
if you shitpost obnoxiously about shitposters, you will become the obnoxious shitposter.
>>
Dunno. But it sounds cool xd
>>
I just remembered a moment in my youth when I heard that quote. When we were around 14 a friend and I spend some weeks doing social work in a workshop for people with mental disorders. We ended up befriending man working there amongst the handicapped. We talked to him because he was one of the few there who wasn't recognizably weird. He was in his late 40s or early 50s, friendly looking with a beard, intelligent and to my knowledge struggling with schizophrenia.
Eventually he would start driving the two of us home after work. One of these days I told my friend about something I had read in a magazine. About a woman selling used underwear to strangers on the internet and earning hundreds that way. We were both amazed back then by how the internet allowed her to prostitute herself without any of the trouble of coming in contact with clients. Amazed by the money you could make doing nothing at all but work out a little and skip showers. We probably also talked about whether we would do something like that, but I can't recall. I do however recall how the man listened for a while in silence and then said "If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you". Or more precisely he said: "Wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein".

So what I'm saying is read enough about degenerates on the internet and you'll end up posting about your life on an Chinese cartoon board.
>>
>>7829248
The result of studying any phenomena in detail is alienation to your peers. Meta-cognition can ensue as well, with the "gazer" realizing the far reaching consequences of the "abyss".
>>
>"If you gaze into the dubs, the dubs gaze back for you."

What did he mean by this?
>>
Maybe it's because I don't have experience, but I believe that quote applies to people who really don't understand themselves, the abyss they're gazing into, or both
>>
It means when u look into the other side the beings that live there will also see you. Demons see you coming longbefore you see them
>>
He means you're about to play Baldur's Gate.
>>
I think the syphillis had already started to rot his brain at this point desu
>>
>>7829593
It's hip to be über.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (46 KB, 412x437) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
46 KB, 412x437
>>7829374
>>
>>7829441
10/10 anon - truly touching.
>>
>>7829248
By dealing with the contingent in the spirit of seriousness you too become contingent. If the contingent happens to be an abyss of resentment you too stand the risk of becoming resentful. If you will, resentment towards the prevailing spirit of resentfulness will turn you into the uberresentman.
>>
>>7829248
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7829700
double 0 confirms abysmall
>>
It means that if you look at something too dark for too long, the lack of light going into your eyes will cause you to go blind. Open the shades, anon.
>>
>>7829248
If you look for meaning in the meaningless long enough you will find it.

Like how if you stare at clouds you will see things.
>>
>>7829248
If you obess over something, it can overwhelm you and destroy your sense of self

Duh
>>
>>7829441

good
>>
>>7832719
desu
>>
living close to evil and passively accepting it will eventually make you evil too
>>
>>7829299
kak
>>
>>7829248
It means that with the breaking of all tables of values, you are on the precipice of falling into the abyss, ie accepting nihilism, in contrast to
>We aeronauts of the spirit! All those brave birds which fly out into the distance, into the farthest distance - it is certain! somewhere or other they will be unable to go on and will perch down on a mast or bare cliff-face - and they will even be thankful for this miserable accommodation!
>>
>>7829272
>>7829287
I shall never apologise NEVER
>>
Freidrich "The Fluid Druid of Genoa" Nietzsche was a notorious homosexual, as he described in his autobiography The Gay Scientist. The Abyss was a euphemism for the gay scene of Europe at the time, which he had a love-hate relationship with. In the quote he describes how, once you become as heavily involved in homosexual activities as he has, you can no longer distinguish your authentic non-sexual self from the self that sucks every uncut Prussian cock that comes through your homemade gloryhole.
>>
>>7829248
To draw away from public life is to diminish one's selfhood.
>>
>He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.

It doesn't mean you will automatically become, it just means that you should be careful about monsters.
>>
>>7835219
>sucks every uncut Prussian cock that comes through your homemade gloryhole
This is the first time I've ever liked Nietzsche.
>>
>>7835219
Is there any fanfiction going into greater detail? Uncut Prussian cock really strikes a note with me.
>>
Pues que si te rallas mucho ,ermano, te vas a volver loco.
>>
>>7829248
e.g. how you change when you lurk on 4chan all day
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.