[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, This is not about literature but I figured you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: help lit.png (8 KB, 506x400) Image search: [Google]
help lit.png
8 KB, 506x400
Hey /lit/,

This is not about literature but I figured you guys could help me with this. Non native English speaker here. I need a term to name the structures as seen in the pic I posted.
They're lines radiating from the inner side of a circumference. What should be the best word for it?

Thanks
P.S. The drawing represents a biological structure but it's not really relevant.
>>
File: rayAB.png (3 KB, 237x143) Image search: [Google]
rayAB.png
3 KB, 237x143
>>7829009
Spokes would be closer, pic related is a ray
>>
pegs, bristles, ribs,
>>
>>7829009
filaments
maybe strands?
>>
File: 1408637625484.jpg (42 KB, 464x420) Image search: [Google]
1408637625484.jpg
42 KB, 464x420
>>7829009
Line segments that are shorter than the radius, start from the circumference and go radially inwards.
>>
>>7829042
true, but if they don't join in the center, they're not spokes, either.

>>7829129
this is exact

>>7829070
good one-word answers. but "ribs" only if they have depth i.e. the circle is actually a tube. "nubs" might work, too. I can't think of a single word that would convey that they're radiating without going the length of a full radius, though. I don't think there is one.
>>
Radians...
>>
>>7829009
>The drawing represents a biological structure but it's not really relevant

If you're talking about these structures in biology then yes OP that is completely relevant and those structures are called cilia.
>>
>>7829009
marks that represent minutes with five minute intervals all around the circumference of the clock face
>>
>>7829231
I thought cilia were on the outside?
>>
>>7829070
ribs seems like a good option.

>>7829193
the structure is like a bike wheel except the rays don't reach the center. The ribs, let's call it that, eventually join a more inner circumference.
>>
>>7829237
>>7829231
not cilia. I don't want to get into too much detail.

>>7829235
Not looking for a description, just some terms I could use.
>>
>>7829009
segments

i would say that it's an 18 segment circular display
>>
splango blango wingo wongo bimbly booblies
>>
>>7829009
Axial Rays
>>
>>7829237

Cilia can be on the inside as well, at least on a multicellular level. There are cilia inside the intestines, for example (cf. the cross section in OP).
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.