[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ulysses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: 41fuOlucVvL._SY400_.jpg (12 KB, 413x400) Image search: [Google]
41fuOlucVvL._SY400_.jpg
12 KB, 413x400
So I just finished this and it's perfect, 11/10, best novel of all time. Not only is it structurally perfect, it's extremely emotional. I know it's a meme but if you've read it, what's your opinion on it?
>>
it's ok.
>>
>>7828554
How much time did it take you to read it?
>>
>>7828586
But it's the best novel dude.

>>7828591
Like 3 or 4 months, give or take. I'm not too sure.
>>
I agree, OP.

>mfw Molly's soliloquy
>>
>tfw not ready to read it yer
>>
is there an art-print of that book cover anywhere? i'd love to hang it on my wall
>>
>>7828644
>read it without first having read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or Hamlet or even the Odyssey
>tfw absolute madman
>>
>>7828554
meme
>>
Read it twice. First time because I was curious and the second because my professor was so passionate when teaching Joyce that I had to reread it.
>>
>>7828643
It's definitely one of its highest points. And it's really revealing too.

>>7828733
I'd love to do that, but right now I want to finish Portrait and some Shakey stuff.
>>
>>7828554
>best [english] novel of all time.
ftfy
>>
>>7828554

I read it. It was not at all emotional for me. Like I could jerk myself off all day talking about the mastery of language this faggot had, but there was very little emotional engagement.
>>
>>7828758
English and novels in general* ;)
>>7828800
Then I think you missed his comparisons with Bloom, Stephen, and Molly to their Homeric counterparts. Try to read Harold Bloom's interpretations or rereading it. Believe me, it's heartbreaking-ly sublime.
>>
>>7828656
same. just finished the ilad and the odyssey and will read portrait before tackling Ulysses again
>>
>>7828834
>and novels in general* ;)
how many foreign novels have you read so far and how many were translations?
>inb4 translations
do you think reading Joyce in Chinese is the same as reading him in english?
>>
File: image.jpg (117 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117 KB, 640x640
>>7829094
See that's your problem: all languages are trying to approach English. So reading an Eng translation is reading it in its best form.
>>
>>7829108
>non phonetic spelling
>little to no conjugation
>strict word order
ok
>>
>>7829128
He wrote... IN ENGLISH!!!! Check & mate.
>>
Molloy's soliloquy is the worst part of the book, it reads like my dumb-blonde ex-flat mate speaks on the phone when she was stoned.

Cyclops is on orders of magnitude better as is Circe and Sirens, Proteus is based.

>b-but molly's soliloquy made me cry, is so beautifully and emotionally unique and full of feeling
Those are all vaginal words, if you enjoyed reading that mind numbing feminine drawling shite you are the perfect embodiment of Joyce's new modern effeminate man as characterised in Bloom.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 400x400
>>7829159
>having Nabokov's opinion
You must be, like, super intelligent
>>
>>7829159
I want /r9k/ posters to leave.
>>
>>7829168
>implying this was known to me
It honestly wasn't, I might give Lolita a chance now. Also source please, this is all I can find with google

>Molly's monologue is the weakest chapter in the book. Love it for its lucidity and precision
>>
>>7829215
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7828643
>tfw currently reading the iliad
>plan on reading the Odyssey, Infinite Jest, V., Gravity's Rainbow before taking on Ulysses
This better be a good book
>>
>>7829220
Stellar contribution.
>>
I read the first few chapter but gave up because I was trying to understand everything and it was taking a long time.
>>
>>7829270
pleb
>>
>>7829297
Reading it plus all the notes takes a long time: http://cas.umt.edu/english/joyce/

I read the greeks instead.
>>
To expand on this point>>7829159 (You)

I have been proven right instantly with the zero value responses from people professing to having enjoyed Penelope, unable to refute the point, reduced to passive aggressive shitposting,conducive with a weak feminine mind.

The last chapter was written as almost sort of a test, it just shows Joyce's range but doesn't add any value, just abstract, emotionally charge, feminine rubbish, or as I like to call it The Bitch Test.
>>
>>7829226
>reading IJ, V., and GR before Ulysses
you couldn't be more pleb if you tried. Why read those sub-par works to build up to Ulysses? Ulysses preceded all of them and shaped every trick they think they know. Ulysses needs no pynchon or wallace for preparation, and if anything, would soil the experience. don't be a fool.
>>
>>7829324
it's more about preparing for the difficulty of the novel than anything, since most of the books I have read haven't been as difficult as Ulysses is supposed to be.
>>
>>7829341
well, IJ will do nothing for you, and GR and V. probably won't either. I'm telling ya, just dive in. The type of difficulty you'll experience will be challenging, but enjoyable. You're not going to get all of the book anyway. no matter what you do unless you read it alongside a guide which i don't suggest at all. just read the book, then come back to it with a guide to see what you missed.
>>
>>7829355
thanks for the advice, but I already own those other books, so I might as well read them for the memes
>>
File: This is bait.webm (1014 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
This is bait.webm
1014 KB, 1280x544
>>7829322
>>7829159
>>
>>7829094
My mother tongue is Spanish, followed by English and then French. I've read stuff in all of them, but Ulysses goes beyond wordplay. It has complex metaphors, a perfect thematic coherence, some of the most three dimensional characters you'll ever read about, etc. So it's godd beyond just not being a translation.
>>7829159
It isn't the best, but it is definitely one of (if not the) most touching chapter out of all the "cantos". Is she not intellectual and slutty? Definitely. But knowing why and how that relates to her being Penelope is exactly why it has made some of us cry. We could discuss it but I think you should go back and re read it, or read Bloom's stuff on it.
>>
>>7829405
Love that movie
>>
>>7829226
god someone actually wrote that
name dropping hurts me so bad
>>
>>7829879
That's from Ready Player One, I think.
>>
>>7828554
I loved reading it and even went so far as to read that Ellmann biography and learn some Italian and Latin. Now I think that I wasted a lot of time idolizing him... same goes for a lot of those other modernists. They tried too hard and didn't do enough.
>>
File: image.png (648 KB, 557x695) Image search: [Google]
image.png
648 KB, 557x695
OKAY WAIT A SEC LIT

i read somewhere that Molly's "yes i said yes i will Yes" is her stream-of-consciousness while having an orgasm?????? and i thought "somebody didn't read the fucking book" but I just wanted to make sure the girl who wrote the article was an idiot and not me

pic related its Poldy
>>
File: 1429079189042.jpg (27 KB, 472x440) Image search: [Google]
1429079189042.jpg
27 KB, 472x440
>>7829108
wrong
>>
>>7830207
Some of them did, like Joyce lol. But learning those isn't useless.
>>7830213
She wasn't having an orgasm or even having sex at all. She was thinking about the time Bloom asked her to marry him while in bed, I presume, to which she answered that famous quote.
>>
>>7830213
She's not having an orgasm, but I think it's reasonable to refer to it as somewhat orgasmic of a line if that's what was said.
>>
It was aite. Not nearly as perfect as the Aeneid by Virgil. That was true perfection.
>>
>>7830613
Well, would you say the Aeneid is better than the Odyssey? If you wouldn't, which is the most reasonable opinion, then you have to agree on the fact that Ulysses is better. And how is the Aeneid better?
>>
>>7828554
I never understood this cover. Can someone explain?
>>
>>7829226
why is he consuming all that pleb shit?
>>
>>7830613
spqr pls go
>>
>>7831142
That does not follow, young padawan
>>
>>7831160
read the book you fucking idiot, obviously a reference to a famous piece of text
>>
>>7831619
Care to explain, my friend?
>>
It's good but not as good as the bible
>>
>>7828554
Greatest novel written in English. Taxing to read but unforgettable. A work of genius. We will never again see a book of such erudition written by a human.
>>
>>7831627
I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

the most well known excerpt from the book
>>
>>7831645
this is the first time I actually laughed on /lit/
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.