[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books that make you more sophisticated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: WFB.jpg (133 KB, 800x933) Image search: [Google]
WFB.jpg
133 KB, 800x933
can /lit/ recommend any such works?

I'm 24 years old, about to receive my Master of Accountancy degree, and I just don't feel as sophisticated, eloquent, articulate, etc. as someone with my sort of credentials should.

pic possibly related. He seems like an interesting character and I've enjoyed watching Firing Line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtpgkX588nM
>>
>>7828346
Anything by Oscar Wilde.
If you can't actually be sophisticated, at least give the appearance of looking as such.
>>
>>7828346
Martin is that you?
>>
>>7828346
Marcus Aurelius' Meditations
Schopenhauer's Art of Being Right
Oscar Wilde
Anything by Cicero

Or maybe you should just read biographies or autobiographies of people you find sophisticated, eloquent or articulate.
>>
>>7828346
Henry James. The portrait of a lady.
He'll entertain you too.
>>
>>7828346
Buckley was such a patrician. <3
>>
>>7828347
He said sophisticated not queer you fag
>>
The trifecta:

The 48 laws of power
The bible
the game by neil strauss
>>
>>7828346
Buckley was literally wrong about everything.
>>
>>7828697
yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYlMEVTa-PI
>>
>>7828975
>>7828697
foucault>chomsky>>>>>>>>>>>>buckley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wfNl2L0Gf8
>>
>>7828975
If he was wrong about everything, why'd you post a debate where he was right?
>>
>>7828594
art of being right is such a sham. i learned more about argument from reading my intro to logic textbook. i wish niggas on /lit/ would stop shilling it because they enjoy the taste of schopy's cum
>>
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. Finished it this morning and I instantly started feeling superior to anyone who hasn't read it, and when push comes to shove, isn't that the real point of literature?
>>
>>7829183
>I instantly started feeling superior to anyone who hasn't read it
kek.
>>
I have the same degree as you do and three years working in fund accounting for Deloitte. Believe me, most auditors I know can't make a sentence without a mistake and nobody actually care about how you write or speak. Most emails have no punctuation and long reports are filled with stupid errors a dedicated team has to check and correct later.
>>
>>7829216
professionally published writers also have editors to comb through their work.
people who get grammatically perfected works and think it's all the author's doing are idiots.
>>
>>7828697
>set himself up as the vanguard of conservatism
>obviously made himself an enemy of the left
>the right starts to hate him and the section of the right based on his works
>the right starts to shed 20th century conservatism in favor of nationalism and traditionalism

Being Buckley is suffering.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.