[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critical Theory/Frankfurt School reading list? I'm just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: kidwithapple.jpg (28 KB, 450x370) Image search: [Google]
kidwithapple.jpg
28 KB, 450x370
Critical Theory/Frankfurt School reading list?

I'm just now starting Dialectic of Enlightenment.

Any further recommendations?
>>
>Leftist perspective
Benhabib, _Critique, Norm and Utopia. A Study of the Foundations of Critical Theory_

>Rightist but still respectably academic perspective
Gottfried, _The Strange Death of Marxism: The European Left in the New Millennium_

>Far-right neo-Nazi screed, and/or respectably academic depending on your perspective, interesting either way
MacDonald, _Culture of Critique_
>>
>>7828323
I would start with Jameson, Marxism and Form. then go back and read those he covers.
>>
I think if you make a thread on /pol/, a bot dumps a HUGE amount of information in several posts about the Frankfurt school.
>>
The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction, Walter Benjamin
>>
>>7828323
I'd pick up collections of Walter Benjamin's essays. Hannah Arendt edited two good volumes called Illuminations and Reflections. IIRC these should have his seminal works, including >>7829773 and his essays on translation, Kafka, and philosophy of history.

Also, I would really recommend skipping Minima Moralia as it is the most depressing piece of philosophy I've ever read. A lot of critical theorists take pot shots at the supposed moral turpitude of western culture. Adorno, on the other hand, seems to be of the opinion that all decisions one makes, no matter how inconsequential, are always already morally compromised and that this state of affairs has obtained from the dawn of civilization. I couldn't really stomach i.

>>7828720
kek
>>
does everyone like the frankfurt school because its a meme after that Afterburner with Bill Whittle segment gave everyone historical basis to feel under attack? get fucked all of you
>>
marcuse, adorno, benjamin, and horkheimer
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.