[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
am i the only one who can't get into don quixote I bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Don-Quixote.png (374 KB, 387x600) Image search: [Google]
Don-Quixote.png
374 KB, 387x600
am i the only one who can't get into don quixote

I bought it after friend recommended me but i don't seem to be getting into it?

Is it my shit taste or the novel overrated?
>>
tfw no one replies to you
>>
>>7828174
I bought it very recently without knowing much about it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Are you reading it as a comedy? That's what it is.
>>
>>7828174
Might be the translation's fault. English isn't a very good language for humor and simple people talking.
>>
>>7828241
>>7828243
i think its most likely because of the way the book is written (translated) being reading all the modern english novellas must be interfering with this sort of way of writing
>>
just put the book away and come back to it in a year or two later.

it's one of the best books ever written. I will say that most translations are tough so that could be an issue. or maybe it's not the right book for you, consider where you're at in your life right now. not that I would know...just possibilities.
>>
>>7828248
J.M Cohen is the translation which I've read, so perhaps try that.
If you try more than two other translations and find yourself not enjoying them, then perhaps the book just isn't suited to your tastes.
>>
Btw there's a great Yale course about the Quixote on youtube, you can watch that if you want to understand it better
>>
Yep, youre the only one ever whos read a book and was indifferent to it after reading only, what, 25 pages? Youre the only one ever, congratulations :)

heres youre only one ever trophy

hurray
>>
The best way I heard Don Quixote described was as follows:

>Great novels wait for you to be ready for them

Just come back in a year or two, like the other Anon said.
>>
>>7828241
It's a comic tragedy, kiddo. if all your getting from Don Quixote of connected shorts that make you chuckle here and there, then you are reading it as a child would.

As for OP, look for themes of point of view (peoples POV changes their reality, this is true in real life as everybody has their own unique reality) the willingness and human desire to suffer, and general playfulness of authorship (Cervantes is playing games with us throughout, after all the entire novel is written by a fictional Cervantes who puts together his edition of a translation from an unnamed Moor who is translating and interpreting the text of Cide Hamete)

it IS funny, but just a fair warning it gets sad and beautiful towards the end. By the time you finish the novel you will realize that Panza and Quixote's relationship has developed into something beautiful
>>
>>7828174
your shit taste, sorry...
>>
>>7828451
this
>>
>>7828371
you have to be 18+ to post here
>>
If you're reading a translation then shut the fuck up your opinion is worthless, fucking pleb.
>>
Part of that book takes place in my city.

I tell you, Don Quixote was written about 400 years ago. It's difficult to translate it to actual spanish, so I can't even imagine how it's going to translate all that Old Castilian into english. Maybe that has something to do, or maybe >>7828451
>>
>>7828448
The ending was shit. It was coearly rushed and Crrvantes didn't want anyone to continue Quijote's adventures so he kills him all of a sudden. Also, what's up with him regaining his sanity? It ruined the character for me.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.