[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Woman's Lit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: joy-ness.jpg (708 KB, 1400x2149) Image search: [Google]
joy-ness.jpg
708 KB, 1400x2149
I just got my income check and I want to spend a chunk on books. I haven't written for pleasure in 3 years but in my defense I just graduated form college with a bachelors in Computer Science and I am a single mother of a 2 and 3 year old. I use to read books by rebellious men, and even though I still see myself as a rebel my hearts not into it anymore. I am looking for some fiction that is well written and believable. Something with a female lead? Please nothing patronizing. I'm not into author who pander to hormonal teens and lonely women. I'm a 30 year old recovering alcohol/drug abuser woman; not a dopey, head-in-the-sky, boys-are-pretty prepubescent.
Any recommendation?
>>
I Love Dick by Chris Kraus.

I'm not joking, or meming btw. It's a serious book about a woman and a man named Dick.

Also Djuna Barnes.
>>
>>7827028
>The Journals of Anais Nin
Yes I know you asked for fiction. Too bad.
>>
Dont buy books, you are a single mother. They have these great things now called libraries. The best part is they are free!
>>
>>7827028
Dao de jing
Zhuangzi
>>
File: tumblr_mux3k8ynCl1qadfqfo1_250.jpg (60 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mux3k8ynCl1qadfqfo1_250.jpg
60 KB, 250x242
>>7827028
I think Sylvia Plath's Bell Jar is right up your alley considering your station in life.

Margaret Atwood, Alice Munro, Willa Cathar (My Antonia and Death Comes for the Archbishop), John Updike, and Philip Roth (American Pastoral and The Human Stain) are other good ones.

TeeHee
>>
File: holly-madison-453.jpg (101 KB, 435x580) Image search: [Google]
holly-madison-453.jpg
101 KB, 435x580
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 182x277
>>7827028
'nuff said
George Eliot was the pseudonym of Mary Anne Evans.
>>
The Great Phallic God...
The Bitch Goddess...
D.H. Lawrence
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>7827028
"Five hours, (and who can do it less in?)"
>>
Almanac of the Dead by Leslie Marmon Silko is pretty great
>>
Nawal El Saadawi is one of the best female writers of the last few decades. Woman At Point Zero is a great book about a brilliantly drawn, complicated, flawed and incredible central character. Middlemarch needs a mention too.
>>
>>7827337
Is the bell jar really worth it. I remember reading three summers ago, but i eventually grew bored and put it down.

Does it merit tl be read entirely?
>>
File: laghing.jpg (364 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
laghing.jpg
364 KB, 2000x1000
>>7827028
>woman's Lit

Don't make me laugh
>>
>>7827028
the hour of the star - lispector

dirty realism but meta and lyrical at the same time. one of my favorites
>>
>>7829197
I just read a review of a recent biography of her. You consider this her best or is it just one that you've read?

>>7827028
I read Tan's first three books. I liked them all alright, with Hundred Secret Senses being my favourite. But this was many years ago.

More recently I've found Stendhal. The Red and the Black had really well written characters, including two very different women. Though it's very old, it's surprisingly not all that dated.
>I use to read books by rebellious men
Like Thomas Paine or Mikhail Bakunin? I would recommend if you haven't.
Female authors I usually mention ITTs are Ursula K. Le Guin and Tove Jansson.
Though this post is rather late I suppose.
>>
The Bell Jar really is worth reading.

Amy Tan did write some other good books - her most recent novel (can't even remember the name) however, was like a weird leftover sentimental novel - something about a half chinese/white girl whose mom owns a brothel in China and who ends up being forced to work in it. Doesn't really read like her earlier introspective stuff.

Maxine Hong Kingston is like an older Amy Tan if Tan was Certifiably Insane, but The Woman Warrior is pretty cool.

People think of Austen as a writer for "lonely women" (to be fair, she was one and they do tend towards her) but there's a lot more to her than that. The Brontes wrote some fantastic novels between them.

Their Eyes Were Watching God, despite the Oprah Book Club stamp, is a beautiful novel - and not nearly as political as people expect from af-am women writers.

Willa Cather's novels are beautiful.
>>
>>7827337
American Pastoral was DA GAWD
book literally melted my face and Philip Roth now owns my soul

seconded on this one OP
>>
>>7830418
I read I married a communist by him and I loved it, tried reading Letting Go and all the characters got so unlikable that i couldn't finish it
>>
nigger fucking read the sticky and fuck off with your blog post
>>
>>7830621
What's it called when u masterbate and then hang urself?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.