[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virginia Woolf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: VW.jpg (82 KB, 800x1093) Image search: [Google]
VW.jpg
82 KB, 800x1093
Thoughts?

Plan on starting Mrs. Dalloway, what are some opinions of that one...thanks!
>>
I've only read To The Lighthouse but it's dope
>>
Why her name be Woolf when she's such a fox?
>>
File: 654322456789765454321.png (210 KB, 288x380) Image search: [Google]
654322456789765454321.png
210 KB, 288x380
>>7826873
>>
>>7826801
she's pretty good and I usually dislike women writers pretty intensely. I preferred Dalloway to Lighthouse but that does seem to be a minority opinion around here. There's another anon who swears The Waves is her best.
>>
Definitely check out The Waves.
>>
>>7826801
dalloway is the best entry point for Woolf. Enjoy.
>>
Are any of her other works on par with Lighthouse/Dalloway/Waves?
>>
>>7826801
Can you describe to me what you appreciate about Woolf? I've always been bored of fuck by her. Maybe you can help me read her better.
>>
>>7827100
you must be retarded
>>
>>7827002
In quality, Orlando (not in style though)
>>
>>7827100
You enjoy Woolf the same way you would enjoy your wife, see the flaws and doubts yet embrace them, preferring to ride the winds of her imagination with her, holding steadfast and loving.
>>
>>7827169
dude that was pretty gay
>>
>>7827100
>reading for enjoyment

sure is reddit in here
>>
>>7827171
Thanks, I was going for that.
>>
Loved it and will probably read it again some day.

Also for those who have read it, BBC's In Our Time podcast has done an episode on the novel which is quite enjoyable.
>>
>>7827100
Do you have to enjoy everything just because others do?
>>
has anyone read 'the Voyage Out'?
I got a copy as a gift
>>
her books usually tire me out in a good way (tho i've read only Mrs. Dalloway and To the Lighthouse) and she writes the most beautifully sad interactions between two people you can imagine. She is a very trustworthy and honest author
>>
>>7826801
I had to read it for highschool, but didn't enjoy the first reading.
Subsequent ones were enjoyable, however.
>>
Some of the lines in The Waves are indescribably beautiful. Only read like a third of To The Lighthouse but I remember reacting similarly.
>>
>>7827169

And if you're an adulterous homosecks?
>>
>>7827135
Can you explain Orlando to me? I think something went over my head when I read it because it was so shit (solid prose though).

Pretty much all I got out of it was the angst-ridden story of an aristocratic time-travelling tranny and I hated when she thought she found a clever workaround for being lazy by addressing the reader as the narrator and overlooking certain parts of pertinent conversations or musings by indicating that it's knowledge that wasn't recorded and thus cannot be repeated by virtue of it being a biography.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.