[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was highschool for you guys? Who were your favorites back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 320x241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 320x241
How was highschool for you guys? Who were your favorites back then?

pic unrelated
>>
>>7826652
1. happy
2. hugo and tolstoy
>>
>>7826652
I just got rejected from Bowdoin, first time hearing from a school- Pomona College is in less than an hour. Assuming the college acceptances are the pinnacle of high school so I don't know how it's going.
>>
Never talked once to anyone the whole time, was miserable, stopped attending

Read those really long history books and all the pleb "top 100" shit like catch-22, moby dick etc and didnt get much out of them because i had no energy to think much
>>
File: FaggotMcDoodles.gif (295 KB, 315x235) Image search: [Google]
FaggotMcDoodles.gif
295 KB, 315x235
>>7826662
>Assuming the college acceptances are the pinnacle of high school
But what about girls, young man, girls???
>>
Got along well in highschool. Had friends, got into trouble, but never touched a woman until college

I hated reading, I don't think i read a single book throughout high-school despite always being in honors level English
>>
File: 1452372233938.gif (937 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1452372233938.gif
937 KB, 500x300
>>7826662
Ma nigga Pomona's my 2nd choice
We got this f a m
>>
>>7826662
Bowdin is ass, you're better off trust me.
>>
>>7826652
Fairly miserable during, not that bad in retrospect. No friends, no one wanted to date me and I was physically bullied by people in the non-advanced classes. But I also didn't get into drugs, read and learned a ton and didn't have children while still a teenager. Which put me ahead of 90% of the the people in my age group from my hometown.

My favorites from that time were Vonnegut, HG Wells, Burgess and Gaiman. I also read thousands of manga.
>>
funny guy who everyone liked, pretty smart but a huge slacker.

i was really into whitman, the beats, and some of the classics (gatsby, mony dick, etc). by sopomore year i shed the hippie shit and tried to know as much about literature as i could.
>started with the greeks
>>
Highschool was fun. My favorite writers then were Thomas Hardy, Mishima and Joyce.
>>
>>7826652

High school wasn't so bad, there were so many kids in my grade popularity or peer pressure wasn't effectual. They cut our librarian from the budget my freshman year, so subsequently I stole many books from there. My favorites from that time were Naked Lunch, Heart of Darkness and the Trial.
>>
1. most miserable time of my life
2. dostoyevsky, kafka, camus, hemingway, faulkner
>>
It was alright, I did well in classes and had a good amount of friends.
No gf, too nervous about making things weird to pursue anything with any girl I was friends with, specifically one girl. Too uncertain to pursue girls I didn't already know, or who didn't know me. Also was hung up on that one girl.
This inspires some of my writing, so that's positive, I suppose.
I didn't read shit outside of what we had to read for school. Probably enjoyed Shakespeare the most out of everything. Hated Rand the most.
Dropped out because of medical reasons, don't worry though lit friends, im alright.
I wish I read more back then.
>>
>>7826677
didn't get pomona either- there goes my hopes of hanging myself in my dormroom in the same city as thomas pynchon did
>>
I remember reading On The Road, Naked Lunch, and Slaughterhouse-Five senior year.

God, I was a tryhard.
>>
I was one of the cool kids so it was Good. Although we were super selective so faggots and betas all hated us. I didn't read because I was to Busy getting high and playing CS 1.6
>>
>>7826872
Haha lol I got in xD you suck lmao no offense tho
>>
>>7826905
Well memed!
>>
I had the talent but I didn't know what to do with it. So I didn't do what I was supposed to and now I'm taking the remedial levels
>>
>>7826652
This isn't a book.

1. Boring and shit
2. Read lots of PKD, discovered the Meme Wolfe towards the end.
>>
Pretty good, small community with like 15 ppl i knew all my life, so it really helped me get out of my shell, particularly drama and forensics. Everyone thought i was weird and smart and funny, i had a dark sense of humor.

played football, cross country, sucked at the sports themselves but had a blast with my friend

i didn't really 'party' more like seven guys getting fucked up in a double wide trailer in the middle of nowhere and then trying to figure out how to take an exhaust manifold off of grand am

had a serious girl friend pretty much every year, but didn't fall in love till i was a senior (that shit sucked)

i started reading quite a lot my freshman year, mostly stuff my english teacher (also the drama and forensics coach) recommended. You know, dickens, 1984, Brave New World, The Sound of things falling, lots of Hemingway (she loved Hemingway), Faulkner, Melville, Robert Graves, Oates, and Joyce and Pynchon there towards the end.

Looking back, my high school experience was good. Had plenty of friends, got experienced with women at the right time, alright grades, did some drugs but nothing too serious, yet somehow i managed to still be moody and depressed and miserable nearly all the time.
>>
>>7826662

I got rejected too!

Also, Pomona rejected me for an incomplete application desu. I lived in San Diego visited there. I would not recommend going there -- they've got meme classes like ones centered around analyzing the lyrics in Beyonce songs. Naturally, this reflects the kind of people who attend.
>>
>>7826652
Lonely.
Liked Hunter S. Thompson and Bret Easton Ellis when I was a freshman, then Kafka and Dostoevsky as a sophomore, then I got into the meme trilogy authors as a junior/senior
>>
>>7826985
Simp hour
>>
I really liked Iain Banks and Brian Aldiss a lot.
>>
Very good times.
Unfortunately, I was a turbo pleb back then and barely read, and what little I did read was sci fi.
It could've been worse, though. I stumbled upon Blindsight and Ventus during those days.
>>
>>7826652

1. sucked

2. Richard Wright and Stephen King.
>>
Highschool is where I stopped being happy and determined that life is a business that does not cover the cost that one should get invested in as little as possible. To be honest.

I read shitloads of Nietzsche back then but never really could into the life affirming part for more than a week.
>>
>>7826652
>How was highschool for you guys?
Grils wanted nothing to do with me.
Creepy old men kept offering me blowies (well 3 separate incidents and different men over a two year period, it seemed like a lot at the time)
It was a confusing time.
>Who were your favorites back then?
A Clockwork Orange
The Sun Also Rises
The Stranger
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Romeo and Juliet
Macbeth
Death of A Salesman
Our Town
Fern Hill
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
Richard Cory
>>
>>7827988
>Creepy old men kept offering me blowies (well 3 separate incidents and different men over a two year period, it seemed like a lot at the time)

I think close calls like that are probably more common than most people think. I lived next door to a creepy old dude who subtly tried to lure me into his house a couple times when I was like 12.
Too bad I'm not a chick or I could do a TED talk about it.
>>
>>7826652
Twain.

>muh patrician childhood
>>
>>7826652

Average I guess, I felt pretty rootless and alienated and got harassed by kids 5 years younger than me but cute girls thought I was intriguing and I had a pretty good group of friends. I applied to Oxford and passed the interview but then didn't bother to study for my exams and didn't get the grades to go.

Favourite authors were Fitzgerald, George Eliot, Salinger, Nabokov, Waugh.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (13 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
13 KB, 275x183
>>7826652

George Orwell. Not because of some pleb, pseudo intellectual bullshit, but because I was interested in history (I study it in college now), and you could easily relate these books to contemporary historical events.
>>
>>7826652
I was fine until second semester
>>be 17
>>be born and raised in a cult for all my life
>>wanted to try out high school for my senior year, since I was homeschooled all of my life, and we moved to the states.
>> parents initially said no, but said fine after much persuasion
>> so I went
>> not really a person loving guy, so wasnt so social. Meet some great people though
>> after second semester I started acting crazy
>> in english class we were going over shakespeare like hamlet
>> eventually get recommended to a mental institution
>> started making conversations about dreams.
>> hamlet comparisons were made once or twice
>> went back to home after being inpatient
>> go to /b/
>> someone posts there "Someone is watching us b
>> wonder what the fuck does that mean
>> click away
>> click on something else
>> its peter fucking rabbit
>> what does peter rabbit have to do with anything
>> click on it
>> there's literally passages of hamlet there
>> nope the fuck out
>> after awhile I realize I was like peter rabbit, going to where he wasn't supposed to to get good vegetables, /b/ was the garden, and OC were the vegetables
>> stay away from /b/ for awhile
>>
I was expelled from high school in freshman year.
>>
>>7826652
1-Bad
2-I'm still in highschool ;-;
>>
>>7828537
It doesn't get better.
>>
>>7826652
Sartre was my dude in high school.

Surprisingly I was pretty popular.
>>
>>7828184
>freshman
How did you pull that off?
>>
>>7826652
>Still in high school
>Used to be a genre fiction pleb
>Started lurking /lit/
>Started reading more
>Lost my faith in Christianity, became more nihilistic, detached from society, cynical, and depressed
>help ive just started life
>>
Doesn't get better ;_;
>>
>>7826675
>touching college women
Gross
>>
>>7828602
It gets whatever you want it to get.
>>
>>7826652
I was shy and quiet in high school. Now I'm friendly and popular though still an introvert who loves spending time alone.
I liked genre then, the Elric books were my favorite, and still like it now. The Vurt books by Jeff Noon are my current faves.
>>
>>7828718
>It gets whatever you want it to get.

read this>>7828083

is it going to ever get better for this schizo?
Does it depend on how much he wants it?
>>
>>7826985
I dated a girl from there once. An unbelievably closed minded bitch. I especially appreciated the lectures on checking my privilege while I went to a community college loaded with hood-rats. I had to get through calculus to satisfy my math requirements while her toughest math class involved counting cards in black jack and the red and blue ball probability problem.
>>
>>7828732
I was fine until /b/ scared me. I don't know who posted the hamlet passages there.
>>
>>7828937
What was her major?
>>
>>7826706
>smart but lazy xD
this is a contradiction, you aren't smart else you wouldn't be a soi-disant 'slacker' :')
>>
>>7829003
Some smart people find shortcuts or hacks, use them, thus are lazy.
>>
File: Lips movin'.jpg (9 KB, 275x232) Image search: [Google]
Lips movin'.jpg
9 KB, 275x232
>>7828949
The Women & Gender program. Let's just say it wasn't too long after we parted that she got her lips movin' faster than a Teddy Ruxpin on some vajay-jay meat.

Yeah, bitch never went to school with anything but other rich white kids while I went to nothing but rough ass schools my whole life. Then I get to be lectured on divershitty.
>>
>>7826652
>Beginning: Depressing, frustrating.
>End: Got ma dick sucked every day and got drunk with my friends every night

2.Non-Fiction books about war and Orwell/Golding/Huxley etc
>>
>>7826985
>>7828937
it's not all bad here. there's a milton guy, a spenser woman, a joyce guy, a blake guy, a chaucer guy, and someone who teaches proust and wordsworth. I would say that unfortunately, beside the joyce guy, we have little covering modernism. however the blake guy teaches new crit and structuralism / ps
>>
>>7829018
That sucks. I just recently transfered to my local state college from community, had a decent gpa of 3.6 but I got a C in my class from last semester. I'm programming connectFour currently. What's your major?
>>
>>7829003
My history teacher told my mom that hed never had someone make him so angry, as I had a perfect 100.00 avg on tests and quizzes and a flat 0 on homework, and he could only give me a C+ in the course.

That behavior was not "wise" on my part, and I wish I could do it over.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.