[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm considering acquiring a meditation habit. Which books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: blaze it.jpg (18 KB, 403x260) Image search: [Google]
blaze it.jpg
18 KB, 403x260
I'm considering acquiring a meditation habit. Which books will help me get started?
>>
>>7825668
Mindfulness in plain english
>>
>>7825672
Found it, thanks. Seems applicable for non-Buddhists as well, right?
>>
>>7825718
Yes. It is made for all people.
>>
>>7825728
dogs too
>>
>>7825806
yo dog read senpai?
>>
Prometheus Rising
>>
>>7825668
Meditation for dummies.
I have it and it's actually decent.
>>
Siddharta made me a more ascetic person for a week, so it may be helpful
>>
>>7825718
Meditation isnt just for buddhists ethier
>>
>Want to get in to meditation
>Have tinnitus

Does meditation still work well with ambient noise? Say a thunderstorm or waves crashing? Need something to drown out the buzz.
>>
>>7825930
I don't have noticeable tinnitus myself so hard to say. I would say just do whatever works for you, don't get caught up on specific doctrines or technique or whatever the fuck else. If having ambient noise helps you to sit still by yourself for a while then go for it.
>>
>>7825668
numb yourself to your truth instead of doing something about it
>>
Sit down. Take deep, slow breaths; breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Don't think about anything but your breathing.

There you go, you now have all you need to get everything of value that meditation has to offer. Don't waste your money on some shitty book.
>>
File: IMG_20160307_232259.jpg (53 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160307_232259.jpg
53 KB, 500x375
>>7825984
>>
>>7825968
What is the "truth", and what would one "do" about it?
>>
>>7825668
I started a meditation habit about four months ago. I read mindfullness in plain english but i found it to be full of gross over-simplifications,generalisations and other pseudo scientific bullshit. BUT if you read past that it's actually quite helpfull as a practical guide.

What i did was read that, read around on the internet, read siddartha and defined what i wanted for myself. Which was no traditional hindu meditation, no visspanasa, zen, yogi or other spiritual concepts attatched to my meditation, no neo hippie crap, not just breathing exercises , but a personal, rational and documented experiment.

I read different sources on the practical 'how to '(without caring much for jhana's etc) and starting with ten minutes a day. I now do 30 minutes a day in which i usually succeed to make my head completely clear for some minutes at the end. Im really quite pleased with that already and the goal now is to broaden that in time. For the future i'll have to do more reading.(probably some buddisht texts) i also keep a log.

Do it anon, its relaxing and made me a calmer person. And it improved my concentration.
>>
>>7825930
It should. I have learned to block out most of any sounds when I meditate, and indeed, noise would be less of a deterrent than you would think. Just sit down, 1-2-3-4, with deep inhaling and exhaling with each number. Remember, mindfulness is not having an absence of thought, but letting all thoughts that come to you, pass by, flowing past you like water. I often see people frustrated with meditation, because they think they have to block out thoughts, but that's not the case. Thoughts will occur no matter what, just don't let them bind you and take your concentration.

I hope that was concise enough, and that I am understandable. Beyond this, I wish you good luck in all your endeavors, anon
>>
>>7826001
idk yours i only know mine. only you can figure out what to do about "it".
>>
>>7826043
>personal, rational and documented experiment
elaborate buddy, so you just meditate? or you have some thing you want to meditate on? what exactly is your daily routine at this point? what's in your log?
sry for so many questions.
>>
Jon Kabat Zinn books. Listen to his talk he gave at Google if you're super new to it.

Tao Te Ching as well.
>>
>>7825668

I have aread a lot fo them. This is the best one, the most practical and down-to-earth:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mind-Illuminated-Meditation-Integrating/dp/0990847705

This one is also good: >>7825672

But the one mentioned above is superior.
>>
>>7825920
they invented it tho
>>
>>7826321
You wouldn't happen to have an e-book of it, would you?

I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>7825672
Seconded. I started with this one. A great introduction to vipassana meditation. Parts of it can veer towards self help bullshit, but generally it is concise and free of ideology (my god...)
>>
I've read my fair share of pop-spirtualist books and really it just boils down to just sit down, set a timer and stare at a wall.

Start worrying about the rest when you can actually do that. I've been practicing on and off for about 2 years now and I can reliably achieve 15-20 minutes. I'm only now looking to find a teacher or a class so I can start to refine my practice.
>>
Don't fall for the dry-vipassana meme. Look into Jhanas.

If you're not hitting deep states of absorption you're not tapping into the potential meditation has.
>>
>>7827876
libgen
>>
>>7827998
Tell me more.
>>
>>7828002
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhy%C4%81na_in_Buddhism
http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=9_Jhanas

Basically, they're deep meditative states with profound effects on the mind.

Jhana is an extremely important part of Buddhism and a profound practice, but a Burmese meme monk came along who didn't think Jhanas were important and through a series of events this is type of meditation that came over to the West.

Most people are now unaware of the 'power of meditation'. Fortunately there has been a 're-emergence', in the last ~10 years or so, of teaching the Jhanas so there is plenty of practical material to indulge in.
>>
meditation is a spook
>>
>>7828016
are you retarded?
>>
>>7828000
It's on there but the download link and all the mirrors are dead.
>>
>>7828023
the greeks didn't meditate, only effeminate, orientals do that, are u an effeminate oriental or a manly occidental?
>>
>>7828029
i will upload it then.
>>
>>7828033
well in fact

http://libgen
.io/ads.php?md5=83d6e682effa8847c0170b7fcf1d79e6
>>
why is there all this horrible chinkposting going on? Did I stumble into an Organization For The Advancement Of Men With Small Dicks And Low Testosterone? OFTAOMWSDALT raid?
>>
>>7828032
well meme'd
>>
>>7828045
the greeks were enthusiastic faggots
>>
>>7826311
Well, i don't meditate on something as a mental image or a mantra, but i do use my breath. Things in my log are remarks about how there's a certain flow of thoughts that always comes up, about making the click : 'i'm having this or this thought, thats ok, now let it go'. Thinking about my log later i decided to try not to .. well almost speak in my head whenever i recognized a thought. So instead of " ah im thinking this,now let it go" there would be.... well nothing. I'd just make the thought stop, then write about how i did that in my log.

Something else would be if i heard a sound, for example a car outside, i'd visualize a car. I took some time to stop visualizing objects if you hear them.

Or in the first session i'd think aloud "fucking anon, stupid ass, look at yourself, this is ridiculous" or i'd see myself in buddhist robes and start smiling at the picture. Back then i just recognized the thougts and accepted them.

So i guess what i mean by rational is analyse the stuff i encounter, figure out a way to deal with distractions, keep looking at meditation as something personal. A personal training to be able to keep your mind clear amd focus. Gone about the same way as i'd train for benchpressing 100kg's : setting goals, analysing progress and problems.

Once i feel that i have satisfactory medation skills i'll go on with some more thought and dig into the spiritual aspect, which will require more reading.

What i'm doing now is like the lifting in order to get in shape for playing the actual rugby.

So yeah.. i just keep track of my motivation, goals, problems, results ect.
>>
>>7828014
Thank you. /lit/ isn't only stupid memespouting after a-
>>7828016
Forget about it. Still borderline reddit.
>>
>>7828033
>>7828037
Does that work for you? Dead here.
>>
>>7829945
yes, just select the two lines, then right click and ''go to this page''

or just go to libgen and search for the title, click the first link [1] and wait for the epub to DL
>>
>>7825668
Mastering The Core Teachings of the Buddha

i thought it was bredti goot

http://www.dharmaoverground.org/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/MCTB/en
>>
>>7826321
Where can I get an ebook of this?
>>
>>7826043
This was me a few weeks ago, then I got fucking lazy and fell out of my habit, now I'm back to drudging through life like I was before.

I agree with you though, Siddhartha as actually a brilliant text just to bring yourself back to this sort of mindset.
>>
>tfw Tinnitus
>Will never hear silence again
>>
>>7825920
>Meditation
>It's not just for Buddhists anymore
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-20-09-04-07.png (318 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-20-09-04-07.png
318 KB, 720x1280
No need to go over board. Modesty is key
>>
>>7830603
Still didn't work for me that way, but the torrent did so I got it.

Thanks famalampai
>>
>>7827851

No, they didn't.
>>
Consider a 10 day Vipassana retreat.

https://www.dhamma.org/en-US/index
>>
>>7825668
nah
>>
>>7825668
Alright, but bear in mind that meditation is not, as some would hold, universally relaxing.

People with emotional trauma can find it highly uncomfortable, because it may approximate the half-lucid state before sleep that so many strange and unwanted ideas coalesce in.

Some people cannot find a point of stillness in themselves.
>>
>>7825668
The interior castle.
Everybody else in this thread is positively full of shit and it makes me want to throw up in very short order.
>>
>>7825668
That quote is such horsecrap.
>>
>>7834963
why>
>>
eleven rings by Phil Jackson.

dude basically takes you on a mindful path through basketball. one of the coolest things i've ever read (and i read tupac's biography)
>>
I read that to meditate, you shouldn't try not to think about anything or actively try to empty your mind. Instead, think about everything until you aren't thinking about anything anymore. Once you reach that point you've "got it".
>>
>>7834974
Wew
>>
>>7834977
you're not done when you've got it.
you have to hold it, like a hot iron in the mouth.
>>
>>7827876
>>7830746

This book is quite new, so I dont know if there is a PDF or e-book available.

But trust me, is the best book about meditation one can read. I recomend it with all my hearth.
>>
>>7836505
Thanks, an anon found a copy of it. Do you practice every day? I want to but have been really lazy lately, and never know if I'm really meditating.
>>
>>7836505
https://u.pomf.is/xhpnvf.epub

For whom it may concern.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.