[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best book you've read so far this year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: prettygirlpic.jpg (135 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
prettygirlpic.jpg
135 KB, 1280x1280
The Camomile Lawn. Sat during WW2 in Britain, non-linear, and it shows the lives of the people living in the Southwest.
>>
>>7825621

Either Knausgårds Struggle or The Cossacks by Tolstoy.

Honorable mention to Anne Karenina, White Noise, and Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.
>>
>>7825621
The Book of Ebenezer Le Page
The memoirs of a man who has lived his entire life on Gournsey. Great read.
>>
>google that chick
>doesnt look like that in any other picture
wew
>>
I'm only about 1/4 of the way through it but Butcher's Crossing is easily my favourite of the year. I don't think it's quite as refined as Stoner but Jesus fuck is it good.
>>
Probably Revolutionary Road.
>>
Marcel Reich-Ranicki, Meine Geschichte der Deutschen Literature

Huge collection of posthumously collected, but already published essays and speeches of Germany's most famous literature critic on German literature and writers from Werther von der Vogelweide to Patrick Süskind.

Great intro to German literature.
>>
The Master and Margarita
Lady Chatterly's Lover
>>
I re-read Stoner, so that one.

As far as new-to-me books, probably Can't and Won't by Lydia Davis. She's truly an understated gem in American short fiction.
>>
Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

It's been sitting in my bookshelf for over a year and I finally took time to read it. Completely blew me away.
>>
Fiction
V by Pynchon

Non-fiction
To the Finland Station by Edmund Wilson
>>
Great Expectations, If on a winter's night a traveller, or What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. Probably If on a winter's night a traveller.
>>
Tartar Steppe - Deno Buggati
>>
OP might want to watch the hilarious BBC TV adaptation of The Camomile Lawn, which has some cringeworthy dialogue delivery from Toby Stephens and, incredibly, an actor farting on camera and getting away with it. It's an interesting book, though, I'd probably put it above A Dance To The Music Of Time as zeitgeist slice of aristocratic life.

Fiction:
The Kindness of Women (Ballard) or 2666

Poetry:
Bertolt Brecht or Guillaume Apollinaire

Non-Fiction:
Sex-Pol Essays by Wilhelm Reich or The Next Revolution by Murray Bookchin
>>
>>7828684
Nice, I read M&M this year as well and really liked it.

But I gotta hand first place to Eugene Onegin by Pushkin.
>>
>>7828772
Which Onegin translation did you read? Even if you don't think Nabokov's is the best, his commentary on it is incredible. You can be adrift in it for ours.
>>
>>7828754
It's Dino Buzzati. God damn it, anon, how could you botch out so badly?
>>
>>7825621
The Dwarf, Silence, Submission, and My Antonia are all equally great.
>>
The once and future king. It was so funny, what?
>>
>>7829033
My Ántonia is fantastic. Probably the best book I read last year.
>>
"Today I wrote nothing", Daniil Kharms. Finished last week and it's the best I've read this year, funny in a rather autistic way; made me laugh out loud like very little literature has ever managed to.
"Industrial society and its future" by Ted Kaczynski is a close second.
>>
The Aeneid

>book
>>
File: 20151010104053538.jpg (129 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
20151010104053538.jpg
129 KB, 500x490
>>7825704
That's because she's a model and a human being, not a doll.
>>
>>7830739
>tfw I've been following her in IG for a while now
please don't post anymore pics
she's my special flower
>>
File: 1422762194578.jpg (43 KB, 500x575) Image search: [Google]
1422762194578.jpg
43 KB, 500x575
>>7830739
This is hardly human.
>>
>>7825644
I'm really excited for White Noise, but reluctant about DFW's short fiction. What are your thoughts on either work?
>>
>>7830739
butters is it really you???
>>
the obscene bird of night by jose donoso. pretty good, but could have been trimmed down about 100 pages or so.
>>
>>7829033
I guess I'll read Submission then, because you're right about the other three.

The Leopard and Memories of the Future for me.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.