[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: blood-meridian.jpg (122 KB, 720x1079) Image search: [Google]
blood-meridian.jpg
122 KB, 720x1079
How is it?
>>
>>7825555
I'm 50 pages in. So far it's been vague and violent. I'm sure it's good. Read it you cock sucking nigger loving jew cunt
>>
its ok but sort of a meme around here
i can get why some people would like it, but the only reason /lit/ posters like it is is because it's SUPER GORY DUUUDE and everyone who has just come from /tv/ or /v/ wants to read something simple they can understand while being entertained by violence

imo suttree is better
>>
>>7825578
What about the border trilogy. I got suttree not to long ago used. The copies beat to shit
>>
It's good. Get's tedious somewhere towards the middle, but last 70 pages are pure bliss. It's not the life changing experience that bloom and others claim it to be, although maybe I wasn't experienced enough to fully appreciate Blood Meridian.

It's a book that I imagine would be a pleasure to re-read sometime.
>>
>>7825555
Absolute dogshit loved by borderline illiterate retards who wouldn't know quality literature if they were bashed over the head with it.
>>
>>7825797
correct

i want redditors to go back to sucking corncobs yecarthy dick on r/books instead of shitting up this board with genretrash
>>
>>7825555

Incredible. Hang on every word the Judge says.
>>
anyone who tells you Blood Meridian is shit also thinks Moby Dick is boring at the whale parts, take that for what you will
>>
>>7825914
I disagree with this anon, I like the whale parts in Moby Dick
>>
>>7825914
They're nothing alike and it speaks volumes about how illiterate you are that you'd think anyone would compare them.
>>
>>7825927

i'm by no means comparing them you poopsucker, i'm saying that these two opinions are concurrent in pleb-brains.

so good job comprehending that single sentence, you lonely homosexual, i hope your stupid post convinces OP to read Blood Meridian
>>
>>7825914
mccarthy is garbage

loved every word of moby dick

go back to r/books faggot i bet you haven't even read moby dick
>>
opie, just look to Harold Bloom for all your literary guidance.

http://www.avclub.com/article/harold-bloom-on-iblood-meridiani-29214
>>
>>7825994
So he liked it?
>>
>>7825914
I loved Blood Meridian and I thought the whale parts of Moby Dick were boring as shit.

So there.
>>
Niggers
>>
File: 1350192657477.png (661 KB, 596x799) Image search: [Google]
1350192657477.png
661 KB, 596x799
>>7825994
>tfw Harold Bloom will never call you Young Man

It hurts. I don't want him to die anon.
>>
File: 1457093304619.jpg (9 KB, 220x229) Image search: [Google]
1457093304619.jpg
9 KB, 220x229
>>7826472
>thought the whale parts were boring as shit

What is wrong with you people? Why are you allowed to exist?
>>
File: 1446160428961.jpg (44 KB, 387x573) Image search: [Google]
1446160428961.jpg
44 KB, 387x573
>>7825994
>Pynchon has the same relation to fiction, I think, that my friend John Ashbery has to poetry: he is beyond compare.
How do you feel about this lads?
>>
>>7825797
>>7825892
Bloom is the final authority on literature, get fucked, plebs.
>>
>>7825927
Except that they really are alike and you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

McCarthy alludes to Moby Dick in several places, particularly in the opening chapters. For instance, Elijah's warning about Ishmael's joining Ahab's crew is repeated in Blood Meridian when the kid considers joining the Glanton gang. The book is also written as a literary epic and incorporates characters who embody heroic evil in much that same way that Moby Dick and Paradise Lost does.

The difference is that whereas the latter two books are concerned with interrogating the moral dimensions of heroic evil, Blood Meridian is almost entirely devoid of moral content. It appropriates the language of literary epics (including scripture) but jettisons the traditional moral and spiritual dimensions of those epics.
>>
>>7825593
Suttree is just McCarthy channeling Faulkner, and I don't care for it. The first two books of the border trilogy and child of god are great. No Country for Old Men and The Road sort of struck me as adventure novels where nothing happens for huge stretches.
>>
>>7825960
>>7825927
>>7825818
>>7825797
Contrarian faggots. Its a great book, the problem is that it is obviously great and so the special snowflakes on here have to hate it. They are the same assholes who think American Psycho is great, or the same trolls who push Gass as anything other than a critical con-job.
>>
>>7826472
>reading for enjoyment

sure is reddit in here
>>
His punctuation is retarded.
>>7827348
>reading for enjoyment
>reading for the plot
>reading for the knowledge
>reading for the prose
Sure is leddit
>>
Masterpiece.
>>
>>7827364
What do you read for then
>>
>>7827519
Exactly.
>>
>>7827364
>reading

sure is leddit here
>>
>>7827364
>believing in punctuation
>>
>>7827519
I like when an author can spin a ripping good yarn and keep me turning the pages. I like it when the author packs in a lot of good info so that I'm learning, but only if he breaks it up with some comic relief. When I'm reading a book, I want there to be a character who has a dry sense of humor and is always cracking wise, even in high-danger situations. If the gang is approaching an ancient temple and it's got a scary face on it, I want this character to go, "Are we really going in there?" or "This is not a good idea at all. Oh yeah. Not. At. All." I feel like that would be me in that kind of situation. Keeping everybody grounded and at ease. I don't want the book to take itself too seriously. And when it ends, I want it to end with a bang and a kiss. Call it trite, but guess what? It's ubiquitous for a reason: it freaking works.
>>
>>7827534
stale.
>>
>>7827534
is this pasta?
>>
>>7825578
I didnt find it that gory to be honest, I think American psycho is more violent and gory.
This is one of my favorite books
>>
>>7825555
Plebs talk about the violence in BM but the real jewel are the landscapes and the settings.
Suttree is a great book and has a lot of memorable scenes.
The end of the Boarder Trilogy is heart breaking but I'm sure there are many other books like it.
>>
The way it's written is weird to me but beautiful and the way it structures dialogue too
>>
>>7828054
>>7827458
>>7827323
>>7827315
>>7827309
>>7827288
>>7826472
>>7825994
>>7825948
Faggots desperately attempting to lap up YeCarthy's crusty, dried up, diseased, 20 year old geriatric semen.
>>
>>7825571
115 pages in and so far pretty boring. When does it get good
>>
>>7828695
Never. You got memed hard by the YeCarthyfags.
>>
>>7828710
Fuck
>>
>>7826976
What this Anon said.
>>
>>7828585
Pleb
>>
>>7827309
This is a patrician post
Others should take note of it and try to achieve the same quality in their posts
>>
>>7828829
>>7828879
>>7828887
These are teenager posts.
Others should take note of them and laugh at any underage/borderline underage faggots who think they should be taken seriously when they say shit like this.
>>
>>7828585
>>7828991
These are teenager posts.
Others should take note of them and laugh at any underage/borderline underage faggots who think they should be taken seriously when they say shit like this.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 240x240
>>7828991
>>7829075
These are the posts of the /lit/ intelligentsia. While only half-serious in their meta-sarcasm, pat capital A attn. to the thrumming IQs maneuvering the digits that tapped out those clinically ball busting fun-fest clauses.
>>
>>7827315
>child of god
Honestly, Child of God is just McCarthy channeling Flannery O'Connor. Still great though.
>>
>>7825555
I thought it was great. Read it about 4 or 5 times. Judge Holden is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time.
>>
Was the Judge really just the kid's battle with his inner evil? In a book filled with sodomy, in one of the self-proclaimed most lawless towns in Texas, why would two guys fucking in a outhouse make someone recoil in horror?
I think the outhouse scene was a metaphor for the Kid's abducting and raping of the missing Mexican girl who danced alongside the bear.

Also, several other girls and boys went missing throughout the book, such as the little Apachee child the Judge sodomized and the girl found chained to the wall of the river outpost. The Kid was a pedophile and he finally gave into his dark side at the end of the book. The Kid was never scene again, but the Judge reappeared revitalized with a new energy dancing naked (unashamed) in the party.

Thoughts?
>>
>>7830822
seen*
>>
>>7825818
As a /lit/ oldfag who popped by because /his/ is boring right now, I gotta say:
How the fuck did you guys let such utter newfags as this run amok? Fucker cant even get his buzzwords right
>>
>>7830822
Most believe that the jaks contained a destroyed Man, beyond any other violence seen before in the book that is describable.
Either he was raped or consented he was destroyed by the Judge.
However I believe if this was to be the case that there wouldn't be a guy 10 meters away taking a casual piss.
>>
>>7825555
Hate quotation marks? You'll love Blood Meridian.
>>
Why do people keep calling him YeCarthy? I'm new here.
>>
>>7830945
>/lit/ oldfag
>types like a redditeur
>>
>>7831561

Ye.
>>
>>7831606
'Ere's yer ye.
>>
>>7825578
It's not even gory though, a lot of the violence is frequent but glossed over much of the time. More effort is put into describing the terrain than the violence.
>>
bump

;)
>>
Why is Outer Dark so overlooked?
>>
>>7825818
>genretrash
wew
>>
>>7830945
>being this new
>pretending to be old

wew lad
>>
>>7825555
Not as good as I hoped it would be.
>>
>>7830822
The kid/man had sex with a prostitute not a mexican girl. The Judge is a pedo, not the kid.
>>
Seriously, what's this Ye thing about?
>>
>>7834392

you missed some unsaid things in the book. he can't get it up for the prostitute. remember she told him "go back downstairs and have some drinks, you'll be alright" ? that's why people think the judge got the kid to give in and fuck a child
>>
>>7834453
corncob tortillas yecarthy
>>
alright Fuckers I'm 150 pages into this book and it's a boring turd so far. when does it get good or when does it get violent. it's gotta be soon?
>>
>>7834821
hahaha mccarthy fags rused another one

get out while you still can
>>
remember when /lit/ loved mccarthy?
>>
>>7831561
His real name is Corncob "Tortillas" YeCarthy. He just changed it to what you see on the book covers to sound more folksy and DEEP like the pseud faggot he is.
>>
>>7834829
lol fuck off. I'll still finish it. not just gonna stop because I find it boring.
>>
>>7834842
what kind of weird last name is YeCarthy
>>
>>7825555
he spat: the book
>>
>>7834845
Read "Cormac McCarthy On A Conveyor Belt" (Google it) if you want to get the YeCarthy experience without wasting too much time.
>>
>>7834872
more like they rode on: the book
>>
>>7835228
He corrected the retards post and he was shirtless and it was the full blackness of night. Such a thing is more common than most decent peoples find to be the case in their lifetimes. Spittle dribbled from the retards slack jaw as he shook his head in stunted inability to learn from the rod. The cool valley of the topic ahead was lit by silent bolts of shitstorm lightning past the baited rivilets which hung like brief tinsle under the black imposing body of the turgid mountain range. The horses breath came out steam and disappeared in front of them in cold autistic dsrk.They rode on.
>>
>>7835336
oh man I'm reading this now. this is extra funny.
>>
>>7834906
Selected excerpts

>1. Lukewarm mentally retarded shade

In the year of our tortilla nineteen hundred and eighty five the man who hated most forms of punctuation did release a novel and was proclaimed to be the third coming of Joyce by Barrister Bloomden of the failed voyage to Helel and no discernible talent. This exaltation would auger much more praise and tribute and cocksucking reviews to come including a few movie deals and a Pulitzer Prize. That most iniquitous friend of Ruth did tarry and partake in the orgy of aggrandizement. On and on it went like a particularly stubborn tumbleweed floating along the arroyos of the present into all forseeable futures in spite of itself.

>5. Here’s a vaguely symbolic sounding (but ultimately entirely meaningless) description of the scenery with no punctuation (Think Timothy “LORD” Dexter not James Joyce)

The concrete wastes were known to swallow man and beast alike leaving naught but rotted half eaten corpses behind Those cracked weather beaten streets and potholed roads were so many gnarled and mocking mouths never to be sated or quenched As even the faintest forensic traces of all the lives consumed in such a manner faded away over the decades desiccated phantoms continued to skulk along leaving the forlorn presence of things long gone and forgotten in each and every crack and crevice and crenulation Each heap of trash and puddle of hobo excrement a portent of an apocalypse that had at once already come and gone and would never be During the winter the winds howls were reminiscent of a banshee wail a mournful Revelation dirge echoing throughout the world in anticipation of yet another counterfeit rapture yet another book of false scripture to be inflicted upon the blighted realm of man
>>
I liked Blood Meridian, I think McCarthy is fine and dandy and might potentially be of modern classic status.
>>
>>7834821
You're reading it for the wrong reason, anon.
>>
>>7836054
You're right in that it never gets good. Get fucked, Corncobbers.
>>
>>7825555
>How is it?
You need to lurk more
>>
>>7836075
That's not what I meant but it's fine if you feel that way, anon.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.