[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain why he isn't the best writer the world has ever seen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: jorge-luis-borges.jpg (20 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
jorge-luis-borges.jpg
20 KB, 500x331
Explain why he isn't the best writer the world has ever seen
>>
>>7825393
>implying I can prove a negative

nice meme
>>
>>7825393
never wrote a single novel
/thread
>>
Every story is a list of names. He's shit.
>>
>>7825433
Why is the novel the greatest achievement a writer can attain?
>>
File: readggassdipiazza.jpg (54 KB, 358x372) Image search: [Google]
readggassdipiazza.jpg
54 KB, 358x372
>>7825393
Because Gass exists
>>
>>7825437
Why so stubborn? Your complaint not only shows you've read no more than one story, and not the most representative at that, but also so misses the point that it is obvious you are always the same person posting it. Read more. Some of his later stories are straightforward. Otherwise if you don't get anything at all from them you may safely assume that you're the problem and should look up a commentary instead of making Anonymous look like a dunce
>>
File: Jorge_Luis_Borges_Hotel.jpg (56 KB, 400x526) Image search: [Google]
Jorge_Luis_Borges_Hotel.jpg
56 KB, 400x526
The world's never seen him.

Only reflections of the original. In fact... you've never really seen anyone.
>>
He's gimmicky.
>>
He's too pretentious
>>
>>7825545
he has never seen anyone since he was blind xD
>>
>>7825579
>>7825581
babby detected
>>
>>7825393

Too constructed, artificial and clever.
>>
File: borges.jpg (24 KB, 308x400) Image search: [Google]
borges.jpg
24 KB, 308x400
>>7825545
>you've never really seen anyone
On the other hand, I've been everyone.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (18 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
18 KB, 1280x720
Pretentious and stupid, said Ulysses was 'unreadable', the stupid fuck.
Old timer fedora
>>
File: tumblr_m8z3byOb8J1rpumk1o1_1280.jpg (190 KB, 1280x692) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8z3byOb8J1rpumk1o1_1280.jpg
190 KB, 1280x692
>>7825545
>>
>>7825724

I'm quite fond of that wallpaper, but the claim seems unfounded and calls for a source to be provided, and the conclusion misses the mark I'd say.
>>
>>7825641
But he is pretentious, that's part of his style. It's not a bad thing, but he was one of those writes that loved to show off how much he knew.
>>
There are a lot of valid criticisms of Borges, that he would have anticipated and made himself. He's basically a kid playing with philosophical ideas, especially grand philosophical ideas and metanarratives, like toys, and his play is expressed in erudite and ornate writing. That's great shit, but he's certainly not a realist or naturalist, even if he might be an implicit humanist.
>>
>>7825719
>>7825719
Ver borgesian retort. I like your style.
>>
>>7825898
And his not being a realist or naturalista writer makes him a bad writer? Honest question, because that's what your post's tone conveys.

I agree with you in that he is like a kid playing with toys, although that doesn't mean he is a juvenile or childish writer. On the contrary, that shows an immense curiosity for the world, an attribute which I thing made Borges the titan he was.
>>
>>7825393
His poems aren't the best poems I've read, and they are sometimes repetitive.
>>
>>7825724
That's bullshit.
>>
>>7825724
Bullshit, I just read his essay on Joyce and he quite admired Ulysses
>>
>>7825724
>>7827370
come on you fuckers a simple google search will tell you early in his life he loved Joyce and later came to be very critical of him
>>
I enjoy it most of the time and it is often ironic in some way but he can be quite self-indulgent - too much of the texts given over to establishing elaborate formal and thematic conceits that don't always reward consideration at novel-length - chess, the vulgarity of Totalitarianism, the reliability of his narrators, for example.
>>
His prose is pedantic, dull, self-congratulatory, and on every level as hackish as that of Lovecraft. A glib paraphraser of philosophy with no ideas of his own.
>>
>>7827495

I didn't realize Nobakav weighed in on Borges.
>>
>>7825393
Pretty much the mexican Kurt Vonnegut.
>>
>>7827567

Are you dyslexic or a mongoloid
>>
>>7827710

It was intentional, a subtle swipe at Nabokov implying he's not worth remembering his name properly, and also saying No to the assessment in >>7827495.
>>
>>7825393
knife-fighting gauchos aren't my cup of tea
>>
Borges is amazing. You're all tards.
>>
>>7825588
stupid joke, but i kekd
>>
gimmicky shit. only good thing about him is that he kept it short. which can't be said in our age of tryhard crap 500+ page novels
>>
>>7826084
Yeah, everyone agrees with this. Actually, you can spot a pretentious pleb by asking if he likes Borges' poetry as much as his stories.
>>
A reminder: If you never read him in spanish, then your opinion is literally worthless.
>>
>>7831114
how is he in spanish?
>>
>>7831131
el
>>
>>7831133
It's actually "Él", dumbass
>>
>>7831131
He was a genious in vocabulary and verbal economy. Kind of like hemmmmingway, I guess, but I can't really say for sure, I haven't read a lot of hemmmmmmmmmingway's works. Barely enough to understand what everyone says about him.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.