[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've just downloaded pic related without being aware of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: houseofleaves.jpg (28 KB, 318x420) Image search: [Google]
houseofleaves.jpg
28 KB, 318x420
I've just downloaded pic related without being aware of its length and now I'm not sure if I really want to waste THAT much time on a perhaps not even notably good 1000 pages horror novel.
So, is it really good enough to justify the amount of time reading it would take me? If no, please recommend an alternative modern horror novel, but one that is much shorter.
>>
>>7825068
it's actually about 300 pages, certain stylistic choices mean that the text is 'spaced out' significantly.
>>
>>7825076
Oh, then I'll read it, thank you. Did you like the book?
>>
>>7825068
It was all right. I was pretty disappointed.
>>
>downloaded
oh boy
>>
>>7825068
There's no "horror" in it, unless you count the fact that it's even more pretentious than Nabakov. A lot of people compare it to Shirley Jackson's 'The Haunting of Hill House' but it's actually her weakest novel. 'Hangsaman' and 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' are both much better in terms of psychological horror. Her short stories are pretty bitching too.
>>
>>7825200
This. This is one of the few books that has to be read in print.
>>
>>7825228
Why?
>>
This book made me physically angry. Pretentious bullshit with no intellectual or emotional core, and a titillating premise (labyrinths and sprawling, subterranean abysses make me hard) without the pulpy satisfaction of adventure and strange discoveries that such a premise should deliver.

I quit during a nonsensical, dozen page dissertation on sound waves. Find something better to do with your time. Go play candy crusher or read highschool dxd light novels. Life is too short for House of Leaves.
>>
>>7825068
theres alot you can gloss over and it's mostly filler for aesthetic purposes. whenever you start reading about furniture just skip it or glance at it and you'll be good.
>>
>>7825232
Half the point of House of Leaves is the manipulation of the physical object, the way you as the reader are confronted with different ways to navigate the text and how in turn the reading experience comes from the choices you make.
It's a shame that it's discounted as "genre fiction" when actually it's a very clever experimental piece.

>>7825275
This anon didn't get it.
>>
>>7825068
buy a physical copy, otherwise there's no point
>>
>>7825275
It's just supposed to be fun, it's not a serious book. I lost my shit at the part where they have all the famous people write little essays about the Navidson record. The house itself was undeniably a cool idea as well, and some of the Johnny Truant parts are at least unsettling.
>>
It's a pretty annoying book sometimes.

The bullshit about drug parties and shit in the 90s gets old really quickly but the whalestoe letters were great.

Definitely had its moments, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone really
>>
I thought it was a very fun read, but any value it has as literature comes from openly copying Borges.

When I read it, I had just moved into a new apartment where the floors shook whenever my downstairs neighbor walked around, but I didn't know that at the time so my floor would just start shaking as I was reading. My reading experience was probably optimal.
>>
>>7825232
It's full of superfluous pretentious typographic shit.
>>
don't download it, senpai. the book has some weird quirks to it that makes it much better to physically hold it. and make sure the physical book is the one version with all the colors. pure black and white versions won't do.

it's not even 1k pages. a lot of the pages only have a few sentences on it or whole pages with nothing but rambling in several languages that you can skip.
i won't spoil it, but i like the book. it's not much of a story as much as it is an experience.
>>
>>7825275
the part about soundwaves is just the second chapter, you pleb.
>>
>>7825068
It's a fun ghost story about a guy in a fucked up house. If you're looking for something really substantive then no you're not going to like it but you'd be fucking retarded to expect that out of what is clearly ergodic pulp.
>>
yeah it's not a deep book, but it is a fun book, a large part of the fun is tied to the nature of it as a physical book rather than a download. even the title is about the physical pages

obviously this is gimmicky and any great work of art will survive on the merits of the text itself, and this doesn't. but it is enjoyable on the basis of the gimmick. if you're gonna remove that, why even bother?
>>
>>7825084
Yeah, it's pretty damn good. The presentation gimmick actually works pretty well imo. It's probably the most memorable reading experience I've had.
>>
>>7826953
>the most memorable reading experience I've had
Damn you must be retarded.
>>
>>7826953
>>7825084
And everyone else in the thread is right,you have to read it in print.

>>7825275
Danielewski obviously isn't trying to write a Borgeian commentary on the nature of time and infinity, it's a unsettling horror story that fucks with your mind.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.