[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
theatre thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: wanted-ibsen.jpg (86 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
wanted-ibsen.jpg
86 KB, 618x800
Can /lit/ recommend a better playwright than him?

>protip you can't
>>
Thornton Wilder, Edward Albee, Arthur Miller, Federico Garcia Lorca, William Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde; those are just some names if you're going off of introductory-level plays.
>>
>>7824830
Also, A Doll's House was pretty underwhelming as far as the ability of a playwright goes.
>>
>>7824854
no one considers A Doll's House to be his greatest work. It's just his most famous. It would be like criticising Shakespeare with the assumption that Romeo and Juliet is his greatest play. I'd agree that A Doll's House is more significant in terms of social context than his abilities as a playwright. Hedda Gabler, The Master Builder, When We Dead Awaken, and Peer Gynt speak much more of his abilities. Not that I am accusing you of having judged him before reading anything else. I would be interested to know how much of his work you have read.
>>
>>7824996
Being Norwegian I'd say that Peer Gynt is his most famous play.
>>
>>7825004
Fair enough. I suppose I directed it toward the Anglosphere more than anything. Peer Gynt is fairly obscure to us because of the awkwardness of translating verse. Whereas his prose plays don't lose as much of the quality through translation.

To most people outside of Norway Ibsen is known as the guy that wrote the 'proto-feminist' A Doll's House.
>>
>>7824830
Anton motherfucking Chekhov. Checkmate.
>>
>>7825026
/thread
>>
I loved The Wild Duck
>>
Little Eyolf
>>
>>7824830
Can anyone recomment a more played out formula than the ">protip: you can't" one?

>protip: you can't
>>
yes.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.