[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Character Genders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: smndmn.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
smndmn.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>Talking about a book
>accidentally call a female character 'he'.
>Confusion until I clarify my mistake.
>She calls it a crucial difference...
and I thought, is it? 99% of the time, does a character's gender matter at all? Ursula Le Guin was right, right?
>>
nothing about literature matters. it's a joke medium
>>
It affects the role a character will play in society, how they'll be received by others, and some elements of how they think and feel etc. But gender is not the defining characteristic in someone's personality. Think of it as a framing device, and a pretty loose one at that.
>>
>>7824681

>>She calls it a crucial difference...

Most of the time the ones who are really militant about identity politics mire themselves down in banalities as if they are the main arena. You know the kind when you talk to them. They hyper-politicize everything to a nauseating degree.
>>
>>7824681
Only crucial if it's a story about gender roles in society honestly. Which to be fair, is MANY books, but it's certainly not always the case.

If Lord of the Rings was all women instead of men it wouldn't change much. Maybe Eowyn's actions would be in a different light? I can't remember the difference between her in the book and movie, it's been so long.
>>
>>7824681
Depends on the character and their social surrounding but considering you made that mistake you're either very illiterate or it wasn't a big deal to the character in the first place.
>>
>>7824742
>implying talking skills correspond to literary skills
>>
>>7824681
I would definitely agree that it is a crucial difference because with sex/gender comes a hidden connotation of the character either being a lead character (male) or a supporting character (female), which is obviously important from the aspect of literary theory.
>>
>>7824751
>lead/supporting character dichotomy
>2016
>>
90% of the time if a character's gender is not relevant, the character will be male.
>>
Well, genderswapping the cast of Pride and Prejudice, for example, would make little sense.
>>
>>7824875
What about a version of P&P where it starts off as the original but they're all gender-swapper without explanation half-way through and the rest of the text is them all trying to hide it and slowly figuring out that it happened to everyone. Where does it go from there?
>>
gender changes the way a person behaves; imputing otherwise is ahistorical & purblind wrt reality
>>
>>7824829
>2016
>no lead/supporting character dichotomy

shit's been established ever since the ancient Greeks so you're kinda missing out t b h f a m
>>
>>7824918
>mimesis
>2016
>>7825039
>ancient "tradition"
>2016
>>
>>7825151
>2016
>belief that merely naming the year we currently live in can somehow invalidate centuries' worth of commonsensical literary values

enjoy your (n+(1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16+1/32...))*(post)modernism fads while they last (and not a single second longer), you fucking book-reading equivalent of an E! television audience.
>>
>>7824685
/thread
>>
>>7825489
laughing really hard at this whole post
>>
>>7825503
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7825519

LOL inb4 /lit/ nub
>>
>>7825532
What?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.