[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything that I should read before The Tunnel? I heard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Is there anything that I should read before The Tunnel? I heard that it has a fair amount of references, and I don't want them to all go over my head. In addition, how difficult is it in comparison to the other meme books?
>>
File: 1441006255394.jpg (414 KB, 473x648) Image search: [Google]
1441006255394.jpg
414 KB, 473x648
>>7824249
this film is good
>>
Let the memes begin!
>>
Consider reading more about Gass, and looking into his essays.
>>
>>7824249
If you want to understand all of it, you will have to read pretty much the whole of the western canon and the vast majority of philosophical texts, but, considering that that is kind of unreasonable, I recommend just reading some of his earlier works, which should help you get a feel for Gass that, going into The Tunnel, will be helpful.

The Tunnel is, beyond any and all shadow of a doubt, one of the hardest novels ever written, and, regardless of how smart you are, will put you on your ass every page. That being said, on the account of its prose--its pretty, pretty prose--it is still an immensely enjoyable read, and anyone with an ear for language will love it.
>>
>>7824345
No memes, friend. Sincere discussion.
>>
>>7824384
Is a short story collection a good place to start?
>>
>>7824819
Yes
>>
The Metaphor

What a lazy idea. And it's this guy's best work?
>>
>>7825472
It's a pretty good metaphor, anon. Though The Tunnel is my personal favorite, there isn't really a general consensus on which one of his works is his best. If you trust DFW's opinions, then I'd read Omensetter's Luck, which he considered to be the best book about loneliness ever written in the U.S.
>>
>>7824819
All right, I'll start with In the Heart of the Heart of the Country since I already have it, unless you would recommend another collection for this Gass virgin.
>>
>>7825585
Nope. That's fine.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.