[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I heard this book was very difficult, but when I saw it in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: mann_magic.jpg (328 KB, 608x900) Image search: [Google]
mann_magic.jpg
328 KB, 608x900
I heard this book was very difficult, but when I saw it in the library today I read the first couple pages and it was delightful. The prose literally delighted me. Should I check it out next time I go?
>>
yes, it's great
>>
>>7823762
hell yeah man. mann is a master. and the best part is after you finish that mammoth he has three other door-stopper masterpieces in Dr Faustus, Buddenbrooks, and Joseph & His Brothers.
>>
>>7823762
Yes: it is one of the greatest masterpieces in all of history. William Gass, author of another one of the greatest masterpieces in all of history--The Tunnel--even put ranked 25 in his "Fifty Literary Pillars."
>>
It isn't really difficult but nonetheless an absolute masterpiece. shit will hit the fan once Settembrini appears

/teamnaptha/ here desu
>>
>>7823782
*ranked it
>>
ulysses tier
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BE0_noMsqE
>>
Best translation?
>>
>>7824114
Woods
>>
I hate when people describe books as comfy but
man is that book comfy
>>
Really good book. Only difficulty comes from the conversations with Settembrini and Naphta but if you've taken any European history class it should not be that difficult to see what they are saying. Classical allusions throughout, but not really a ton. It's accessible and totally comfy.
>>
It helps to be familiar with Platonic dialogues too.
>>
>>7823782
Damn Gassposter, this is your most shameless plug yet.
>>
>>7824328
I admit, it doesn't match my normal post quality, but I was eating a double bacon cheeseburger while wrote it.
>>
>>7823762
Why is it considered difficult? Is it the prose?
>>
>>7824357
Was the cheese double or the bacon? It both? Malnourished shit-worlder here.
>>
>>7823783
Peeperkorn 2bh.

Memery aside, that whole chapter went WHOOSH over my head. I had no idea why Mann decided to include Peeperkorn. To show that hedonism wasn't a philosophically tenable position in the 20th century? Would like some input here.
>>
OP are you >>7824833?

I've read Doctor Faustus not long ago, now I'm planning to do Buddenbrooks->Magic Mountain->Joseph.

Also, there are charts displaying the 'right' reading order for certain authors, like Hemingway or Mishima. I think if anyone of you, who knows Mann well would make a chart like those, that would be good guidance for others, who are just getting into Mann.
>>
How much/what Schopenhauer?
>>
>>7824794
Long dialogues on intellectual subjects, no real plot to speak of. It's easy to read compared to the other modernists but it's can be a long and boring read for some.
>>
>>7824828
Double pattied with four pieces of bacon under the top bun and four pieces on top the bottom bun. It was a little too salty, so I'd give it a 7/10.
>>
>>7825460
I...didn't know such things existed upon this Earth. Life hard in slavistan, comrade.
>>
>>7825008
death in venice -> (optional) tonio kroger -> buddenbrooks -> magic mountain -> mario and the magician -> doctor faustus -> joseph -> (optional) felix krull (either confessions or the original unfinished short story) -> (optional) holy sinner

slot in his other short stories as needed.
>>
>>7825772
Why live in such a place, anon?
>>
What a fucking hideous circlejerk this thread is. Sadly, this book is nothing special
>>
>>7827422
t. a pleb

go back to wanking it over infinite jest
>>
>>7824185
you'll never just dick around for years in a comfy sanatorium with a microcosm of the world around you
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.