[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ready Player One
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1524x2379) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1524x2379
Has anyone read this book?
>>
>>7821639
Lots of people here have and they didn't like it. I've read selections from it and I have to agree with them.
>>
>>7821639
It's alright. Cool premise, cool world, but it indulges the 80s pop culture thing way too much. The characters are more or less non-entities. Prose is functional, with a few groan-inducing metaphors here and there.

Read it if you have nothing else to do some afternoon, or if you really desperately want to form a dismissive opinion of it.
>>
Literal dogshit.
>>
I read this book.

Let me start off by saying that I've been posting on this board for quite a while, and a lot of the standard /lit/ snobbery has rubbed off on me. When information about this book began to spread, I shared everybody's understandable disdain. From where I was sitting it seemed to me like an embarrassing book designed to pander to nerds' nostalgia. As somebody whose reading time is mostly spent rereading my favorites by Joyce, Gaddis, and McElroy, I didn't think there was any chance that this book would be anything but pain for me to read.

Which is why I'm extremely surprised I'm about to give this book the assessment I'm about to give it. Honestly, I thought it was a staggeringly impressive debut that singles out Kline as *the* writer to watch right now. It's well-written, funny, ingeniously plotted and even (this is the big one) moving. As I was reading it, I couldn't believe my own reaction. And when I was finished, I was astonished at how powerfully the novel resonated.

I urge everyone who's skeptical to give this book a shot. You're bound to pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>7821670
This.
Chill read, nothing to write home about. I'd be embarrassed to list it anywhere close to good literature.
>>
>>7821675
Nice pasta, in what dusty corner did you find it?
>>
>>7821639
I couldn't make it past the second chapter. The entire thing is just LOL REFERENCES, which perfectly explains why Reddit loves it so much.
>>
It wasn't great, but I still enjoyed it. The, reveal, was kinda groan inducing though.
>>
>>7821675
I'm taking this bait but I cannot bring myself to be seen reading or checking out a fiction about fucking video games.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.