[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of pic related? Is it worth the month or so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
What do you think of pic related? Is it worth the month or so of reading a single book?
>>
>>7820823
>not a couple of days at most
>he isn't neet
>>
Yeah, I just marathoned the first page and it was okay I think. I didn't really get what was happening, but it might be one of those books with deep lore like ASOIAF. I'll read the next page tomorrow before bed if I have time.
>>
>>7820831
... can't tell if bait... omygod, I really can't.
y-yeah read it, OP. Very wor>>7820831
th, take ur time...
>>
>>7820831
beautiful
>>
Leo's Toy Store by Warren Peace
>>
>>7820823
Its worth it if only for the critique of the great man theory. He also describes true happiness well.
>>
No. Read Anna Karenina or The Death of Ilyan Ilvich. War & Peace is a bloated mess with almost no central coherence, two or three main characters who have almost nothing to do with the war sections, and a huge essay about war and the course of history that you'd be better off never having read.

I like Tolstoy. I do not like War & Peace. You'd do better to read his good stuff.
>>
I read it but don't like it.
The characters are all narcissistic but Tolstoy tries to make you humanize them.
The brothers are basically naive psychopaths.
It's like an episode of it's always sunny, except there are no jokes or gags.
Basic rich people apologetics.
>>
>>7820823
A little too long. A rollicking historical novel written for the general reader, specifically for the young. Artistically unsatisfying. Cumbersome messages, didactic interludes, artificial coincidences. Uncritical of its historical sources.
>>
File: 1429298316418.png (269 KB, 567x960) Image search: [Google]
1429298316418.png
269 KB, 567x960
>>78208
wew
>>
I worry that since it's a translation I'll feel like I didn't really read the essence of what was written. For a 200 or so page book that feeling is fine but it would take me a long time to read war and peace.
>>
>>7821199
well memed
>>
>>7820884
>He also describes true happiness well.
Either the scene in the that little house after the hunt or the sled ride?
>>
>>7821204
>Either the scene in the that little house after the hunt

oh the feels
>>
>>7820896
>>7820904
I really don't know how you guys can say that it has bad characters. You probably read it just for the sake of reading it and didn't understand it. Also how retarded do you have to be to complain about the historical essays? Just fucking skip them.

Read it OP, it is a unique experience. You will never read a book with the same breadth and depth. Just make sure you are ready for it.
>>
>>7821296
>Also how retarded do you have to be to complain about the historical essays? Just fucking skip them.
>You will never read a book with the same breadth and depth. Just make sure you are ready for it.
>>
>>7820850
I hope that isn't something you put a lot of time and effort into.
>>
>>7820823
Its okay but very overrated
>>
>>7821356
it's an old joke
>>
>>7820850
I understood that reference
>>
You know, it's a lot like Infinite Jest. Some people like the tennis parts, other people they like the druggy parts. Some people go for Pokemon X, others they're more for Pokemon Y. When it comes to War and Peace, you've got the same deal: you got your War guys, and you got your PeaI've never read it I'm sorry.
>>
>What do you think of pic related?
It's fucking amazing. Just hop on Uncle Leo's historical wild ride Anon, you won't regret it.
>Is it worth the month or so of reading a single book?
Why does it matter if it's a single book? I'd rather read one huge great book than 5 shitty ones.
>>
>>7821296
I'm >>7820896, and I did not say it had bad characters. The characters are quite good. The narrative employs them in bad ways - totally abandoning them for hundreds of pages at a time to spend more time with atrociously boring war stories. Pierre is a genuinely great character but War & Peace does not serve him, as a character, well. Nor does it serve any of the other good characters, and there are quite a few.
>>
Great character development, has some sections when it gets too Soap opera-like focusing only on who's falling in love with whom.
I have not finished it yet but I don't see where are the historical essays that other anons are talking about in this thread. Apart from "Russia is great France is shit" partiality, the narrator feels pretty invisible.
>>
>>7821651
Tolstoy explaing his theory of history becomes a lot more prominent towards the end of the book, and one of the epilogues is literally a 50 page essay repeating everything he said about it in the main work.
>>
It's a good book for people who have a big knowledge about history. You must to build on Tolstoy's ideals to understand the book.
>>
>>7821432

But would you rather read one huge great book than 5 small great books?
>>
"And Quiet Flows the Don" by Mikhail Aleksandrovich Sholokhov is better than "War and Peace"
>>
Marya is best girl
>>
>>56478374
>>7821301
i cant stop laughing
>>
>>7820825
This. Should take you less than a week. And Tolstoy's chapters are so brief that you can probably shave off 100ish pages from the total count just from empty space in the text.
>>
it's honestly really entertaining, apart from the bits where tolstoy decides to just stop and lecture you about how all historians but him are wrong
>>
>>7820896
>who have almost nothing to do with the war sections

>I'll take 'people who didn't get it' for 400, Alex
>>
>>7820884
Count Ilya Rostov dancing.

Natasha at her first ball.

Natasha dancing at her uncles house after the hunt.

Its true
>>
>>7821685
>not Sonya
>>
If you have interest or knowledge about the Napoleonic Wars does it make the book better?
>>
>>7820823
> the month

2 weeks during high school 15 years ago. OP, probably you're not autistic enough for this board
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.