[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I fall for a Reddit meme reading this? The first book was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: A1HGWCA36hL.jpg (1 MB, 1701x2560) Image search: [Google]
A1HGWCA36hL.jpg
1 MB, 1701x2560
Did I fall for a Reddit meme reading this? The first book was bearable but Reddit made out like it would have me in stitches the whole way through. I snorted a few times and that was it. The second book was boring and it caused me to give up reading for three months it sucked so badly. Am I wrong in doing this? Am I missing something not reading these books?
>>
>>7819864
They're not enjoyable after your teens unless you're a retard.
>>
>>7819868
Fuck off

>>7819864
The jokes are hit or miss. But it does sort of beat the same drum in the later books. It's worth one readthrough though since it shouldn't take more than a week. The ending to the fourth book is excellent. And in my opinion the fifth book is totally unnecessary.
>>
>>7819864

The book is overhyped mediocrity.

Not that funny, not that witty. Very fedora tipping sometimes and obtuse to the point of despair some other times.

I bet dogulas fagdams felt intelligent writing it
>>
>>7819970
The guy went to cambridge.
But he liked monty python and kurt vonnegut. He wrote for doctor who. His entire life he said he wanted to write scifi comedy. His other books are about a bullshitter detective scamming old ladys who lost their cats by telling them their cat's wave function has collapsed and displaced them in spacetime.

Why can't it just be silliness?
>>
>>7819970
>Very fedora tipping.
Give me one example.
I've only read the first book, but I really liked it.
>>
>>7819989
It's not. It's very absurdist in that every one in the universe has a more ridiculous theory of life that makes less sense than the last one. It's a lot like nonfiction in that sense.
>>
This is one of those books that has a lot of quotable moments, but reading it all together makes it feel as though your brain is under attack. I made the mistake of reading the complete edition all the way through and by the end could not remember what happened where or when or to who. Tread slowly.
>>
File: Bl7rVw1CYAALFNI.jpg (33 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Bl7rVw1CYAALFNI.jpg
33 KB, 480x640
>>7819989

>Give me one example.

>"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
>>
>>7819864
The Hitchhiker's Guide is sort of like The Fountainhead where if you've never read any substantial literature before you'll probably be blown away. Obviously neither of those books are actually substantial, but, y'know, it's highly accessible and pseudo-philosophical. People can feel they're clever for engaging with it while putting in close to zero effort. It's like Fight Club or Black Swan.
>>
>>7820439
>what is context
>>
>>7820453
>7820453
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED"

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
>>
>>7819864
I loved the series but I read it in middle school, not sure an adult would be able to truly enjoy it
>>
File: David-Cameron-talking-on--010.jpg (99 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
David-Cameron-talking-on--010.jpg
99 KB, 620x372
>mfw Americans read Hitchiker's
>WOW THIS SHIT IS SO RANDOM XD I LOVE IT 42 42 42
>pfft fedora-tier bullshit so pretentious

Do you guys just not get British humour or something? It's not funny because it's random and it's not pretentious in the slightest. It's a series of light, absurd scifi novels written as a tie-in to a radio series by a writer who hated writing novels, nothing more.
>>
>>7820439
I hope you don't actually think that out of context sentence is proving your point. It's just making you look like you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
I blame the US's lack of a radio culture for this post.
>>
>>7820456
I guess you're too thick to realise that joke is more easily read as a criticism of logic than it is of God.
>>
>>7820493
I'm not the original poster of the content, sorry.
>>
>>7820463
they can't into the bantz
>>
>>7819864
British humor is just kind of ass
>>
>>7820598
We did make America, and that turned out to be a huge joke.
>>
The radio series is better, but they're just a frolick, they should be read as such.
>>
>>7820604
not gonna argue with you there

>inb4 raped by NSA
>>
>>7820604
AAYO
>>
>>7820604
damn
>>
>>
You have to be intellectually advanced enough to understand existential absurdest humor to get it in it's entirety.
Existential absurdest humor isn't about the absurdism, but about how absurdism isn't because it's relatively normal but we've just adapted to it and only react to it when it's presented in a different context.
>>
>>7820456
Oh yes now that I realize this the joke is actually very funny and a worthy post, if only this was Reddit then I would make sure to upvote it. So what's the best way to handle that? I suppose the most widely used method is to just copy and paste it in other threads? I'm assuming that's what you do, but some clarification would be nice. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>7820906
What about Zaphod being the center of the Universe?
You didn't like that gag?
>>
>>7819864
nah
>>
>>7820927
It's a repost from some sperg in the Dostoevsky thread.
>>
>>7820932
So a pretentious half wit with narcissistic personality disorder that comes to of all placed 4chan to feel better about themselves via pseudo-dialogue and criticisms?
What a dickbag.
>>
>>7820952
Yes
>>
>>7820957
So what's the best way to handle that?
>>
>>7820964
Don't mix up your facts about Dostoevsky's addictions or he'll pounce ya.
>>
>>7820981
I'm assuming that's what you do
>>
>>7820991
You're welcome in advance
>>
>>7819864

First book is entertaining, second is worse, third is worse, then I assume they get worse and worse. i stopped after 3

But reading the first one wouldn't hurt
>>
It's very british humour.
>>
>>7819864
Fifth was best. Easy read
>>
>>7819959
>The ending to the fourth book is excellent. And in my opinion the fifth book is totally unnecessary.

Agreed.

1 and 4 are the only really good ones.

2 and 3 are clones of 1.

5 is shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 326x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 326x499
>>7821473
What about 6?
>>
>>7821494
Didn't read it.

I saw no point as 5 was so bad and 6 was written by someone else after Adams' death.
>>
>>7821341
>british
>"humour"
>>
>>7821502
This. Those limeys haven't been funny since Monty Python.
>>
>>7821502
"British"
>>
>>7821505
British humour is so bad, it really grinds my gears when people say it's better than American.
>>
File: archer meme.jpg (127 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
archer meme.jpg
127 KB, 400x400
>>7821508
american humour is beter
i just love thiese epic memes like archer and rick and morty :)
>>
>>7819864
Yeah, you read it.

It's not meant to be read.
>>
>>7820604

#360noscope
>>
>>7819864

That's why you don't listen to plebbit. These books were fucking trash OP.
>>
>>7819959
>Fuck off
Triggered pleb detected
>>
>>7820456
>not understanding the fucking joke
>>
It was better a few years ago
>>
>>7820604
*ba-dum-psssh!*
>>
>>7821608
No, it's just that this guy >>7821601
and this guy>>7819868
Are both insufferable autistic cunts who've got nothing to offer the world but internet shit talking and an encyclopedic knowledge of dead people who died pennyless and were wrong about almost everything. Fuck the greeks. Fuck philosophers. It's all fiction and some people more than masturbate to dead pontificators. I study pharmacology. A real degree with real employment opportunities and a real science that carries real implications about the nature of consciousness and it's place in our universe. I come here because I also have a passing interest in philosophy as an aspiring scientist of the molecular underpinnings of mind. And the hitchiker's guide is a fantastic book. One of my favorites. There is actually a middle ground between a masterpiece and "Complete trash" or being less dense than Kant, and being only lovable by retards. Kill yourselves you redundant deluded narcissistic children.
>>
>>7820604
not as funny as the thousands of british girls raped by muslims and covered up by the pedophile government employees
>>
>>7821739
I disagree, I find reality is funnier than fiction.
>>
File: 1448714245905.jpg (81 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448714245905.jpg
81 KB, 667x1000
People hate on it only because it's a reddit favourite. If you don't like it that's fine, but it's a good book

I hated almost all of Dostoevskys books, doesn't mean they're bad. But every book can be deconstructed and a critical point of view can point out only the shortcomings.
>>
>>7821748
i hope you aren't denying the facts Achmed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal
>>
>>7821719
Narcissm is virtue, dumbfuck STEMlord pleb
>>>/r/books
>>
>>7821787
>People hate on it only because it's a reddit favourite
Shut the fuck up and stop projecting your insecurities onto others, retarded limey.
We hate them because they're bad books.
>I hated almost all of Dostoevskys books,
Holy shit

I fucking hate imgur.
>>
>>7821540
Rick and Morty is basically a Hitchhiker adaptation. Its shallow attempts at philosophy are straight out of Adams and Vonnegut.
I still like it
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.