[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
too smart to relate to the people I know, too stupid to talk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2
too smart to relate to the people I know, too stupid to talk with people on /lit/.

should I try to get smarter or return to being average?

inb4 someone says I should go to reddit. honestly I'm probably better suited for that shit than you guys.

pic unrelated
>>
>>7819738
How is this even a question? We all aspire to be smarter not dumber.
>>
>>7819738
swtg
>>
>>7819740
Not me. I went too smart a couple yers ago and I've been trying to find my way back since then. Not easy, especially when you've gotta go as a far as me just to bring it back down to average, but the intellectual titan life isn't all it's cracked up to be
>>
You're oh so smart but not smart enough to figure out how to talk to people with different interests. Congrats.
>>
>>7819780
yup. The classic trap of intellectualism. Our inability to regain our ignorance is nature's great joke on us.
>>
>>7819785
not smart enough IE lacking the knowledge and/or cognitive ability to fully comprehend the shit people talk about/read on here
>>
>>7819831
If you're complaining that you're too smart, you're probably not as smart as you think you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority
>>
>>7819831

Live footage of OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNjJutK_4A
>>
>>7819843
I'm complaining more that I'm too stupid as opposed to too smart
>>
you should try to get better at people.

read huxley's island, the society in that has a neat set up to deal with people's differences in social styles.
>>
>>7819858
If you're too smart for your friends, find better friends
>>
>>7819858

Eh, don't stress that. Just keep reading and exploring and you'll either get there or you'll find what works for you.
>>
>>7819738
Average IQ of a /lit/izen goodposter: ~115-120

Average IQ of OP's milieu (based on other small towns internet people bitch about): ~95

Probable OP's IQ: ~105

Yeah, you're nothing special, just stick to reddit and quit shitposting here.
>>
Go to college and stop talking to retards. You probably just don't spend enough time with smart people.
>>
Your level of intelligence is not the issue here. You're probably struggling with your peers because you're just a horrible person to be around.
>>
>>7819738
Enjoy your hubris OP.
>>
>>7819738
Just keep reading.

>>7819907
IQs are irrelevant. Richard feynman's was 125. Mine's 144 and I'm having a hard time with trigonometry.
>>
>>7820375
Sure buddy, sure
>>
>>7820390
He's not wrong, though.
>>
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" – she always called me Elwood – "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
—James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"
try it for a few weeks.
>>
>>7821130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bCB7DHJts
>>
>>7820375
>>7820390
He's absolutely right. Mine's 174 and I can't even solve basic equations.
>>
>>7819738
>too stupid to talk with people on /lit/.

but /lit/ isn't smart. /lit/ just namedrops and conceptdrops
>>
>>7821811
How do you actually get smart and display it..?
>>
>>7821819
start with the greeks
>>
>>7821829
And then I'll suddenly stop namedrops and conceptdrops, attaining some higher level of intellect and means of presentation?
>>
>>7820033
what if i can't afford college? i'm in a similar situation to OP.

i have no idea how to get myself in the company of intelligent people and having no intelligent people in my life is really holding me back.

like i can listen to lectures and read books, but listening to other smart people talk only gets you so far. i need dialogue.
>>
>>7821834
when you have a large enough reserve of cool names and concepts, yes

understanding stuff like SPOOK and the divide between analytic and continental philosophy are the ABC of quality /lit/ shitposting

start with the fundamentals until you can grasp basic shitposting, practice your technique, then move on to the more advanced stuff until you're shitposting as Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker, in-character
>>
Holy shit if you aren't underage then save yourself the trouble and fucking kill yourself. If fitting in on 4chan holds any importance in your life then you're better off dead plain and simple. Holy hell this website really is fucking dying...
>>
>>7821856
Alright. Do I have to read the original texts and work my way through? It seems it's unnecessary as there are many people who've done that already. For example, why would I read all of Plato's works instead of reading a comprehensive study on Plato?
>>
>>7821905
So you can make your own opinions on it you parasite. Everybody can bring something different to the table, if you're really interested in getting something out of it then read it yourself and interpret it in your own way. Maybe you'll see something nobody else has or something. I mean you can always just skip that and read someone else's explanation of it if the only reason your reading it is to say that you've read it, but if that's the case then you should just skip the time required for that step and kill yourself.
>>
>>7821515
Yep, mine's 200 and I can't count past 10!
>>
>>7821915
I'm not going to argue with you, but just ask one question: Are you sincere when you're proposing that there's the possibility of seeing something that nobody else ever saw in Plato? When you're not obviously exceptionally prodigious, I mean. If that's your honest opinion, I'd like to know and direct the conversation accordingly -- for all I know, it could be just rhetorics.

>>7821922
Maybe your culture doesn't conform to western values, have you checked that possibility? Do you have natural numbers, counting and mathematics as parts of your cultural structure?
>>
>>7821942
cultural structures are a spook and you're a microaggressing shitlord for implying otherwise
>>
>>7821953
I macroaggressed your mums butthole last night
>>
>>7821953
Then he must be lying (and I highly doubt that anyone on this site would resort to such aggressions of unremarkable morality), since in a westernized society (basically any country in the world today, up to the third degree) not being able to count to ten while still possessing the numerical representation of the intellect of a true genius seems highly unlikely. How else would you explain this phenomenon?
>>
>>7821942
No, my culture conforms to western values, but any number after 10 is a patchwork of number 1-9.
Just structures of numerical architecture reaching down and up, repeating and coalescing infinitely to describe the universe in a rudimentary function.
There is no need to look past 10 as individual numbers.
>>
>>7821915
lol you think you're important.
>>
>>7820375
>Using Feynman as an excuse

He took a test administered by the type of people who run high schools. Those people are merely civil workers, arbiters of intelligence.

If Feynman took a modern IQ test, he'd probably range between 140-160.
>>
>>7821969
>what is a numerical base
Do you have 200 IQ in base five, anon?
>>
>>7821982
>arbiters of intelligence.

*not arbiters of intelligence
>>
>>7821942
Yes I'm serious, maybe if you didn't spend so much time trying to be cool for strangers on the internet you would have a different lease on life. All experience is subjective and therefore the act of reading is subjective, which means that everything you read can be completely subject to your interpretation on its own. Of course you will see things others have seen, but what those things mean to you and how you interpret them will be a different process and this process alone is enough to make it unique. What's the point of just reading what someone else got out of it when instead you can get your own interpretation and then compare it with others? It's just a pointless question in my opinion, if you don't actually care about the work enough to read it on its own and only want it to be interpreted for you then it's obvious you shouldn't read any of it all because you don't really care about it, you just care about being able to say "oh I know what that is" and the you aren't even an individual, you're just someone else's thoughts. It's much more interesting to say "oh I interpreted it as this" and then proceed to explain yourself, it will make you a better person.

>>7821980
What're you gonna do about it?
>>
>>7821852
If you were so damn smart you'd have a scholarship to your local state school.
>>
>>7822229
Thanks for taking your time to produce a lengthy and serious response -- I'm sorry I won't be able to return the favour yet, as I feel more comfortable working with questions before any measure is to be taken. Also, it's become fairly obvious probably, I see no downside of resorting to basic inquiries. This time, I'll ask: What differentiates Plato's writing from any other writing (including writings on Plato's writings)? With regard to value or anything else still meaningful that you can come up with.
>>
>>7822244
I think my previous answer applies to this as well. Seriously anon just go read Plato and find out for yourself, if you want a starting point I can't give you one because all I know is the republic, so I guess if you want my input then it's "start with Republic". I think you will be very pleased.
>>
>>7822236
i don't even think i'm smart, which is why i want to surround myself with intelligent people in the first place
>>
>>7819740

I work on my soul, not my intellect.
>>
Oh geez, another thread about intelligence. I'll say the same thing I said in the other one: I have an IQ of 160, and I feel that my life is worthless - that every last ounce of my being has been slowly siphoned out of me as the years have gone by.

Bottom line, it's far more important that you live a happy and healthy life with what you've been given than to relish or anguish in your intelligence or lack thereof.
>>
>>7823613
> Recommending starting with the Republic and not dialogues such as Apology/Crito

Why are you even humoring this guy OP?
>>
File: 1332823392271.jpg (54 KB, 377x398) Image search: [Google]
1332823392271.jpg
54 KB, 377x398
>>7819738
>>7819843
>>7819858

I sort of know that feel OP. Except I'm surrounded irl by people with masters and phds. I am only a high school graduate. So I am painfully aware of how stupid I am. My friends are good sports about it, but it's kinda suffering.

I'm now in a place where keeping up with my friends has made me just smart enough to know my circumstance, but I can't really relate to normal people anymore. It's a weird situation to be in.

side note: I don't belong here in /lit/, I'm just passing through because I saw this post. Carry on.
>>
>>7823613
Alright, thank you for everything. I'll consider it (but leaning on to the advices of others, will definetely shun Republic initially).

>>7823855
I'm not OP.

>>7823698
This guy is right, I have 174 IQ and since I can't even solve basic equations, my friends constantly bully me and that makes my life very much hellish -- I wish I had 174 happiness points instead (where the cap would be 200, or rather 175)!
>>
>>7821819
if you were smart you'd appreciate that you don't need to display it. being smart isn't about your place in the pecking order.
>>
>>7824004
OK, thanks :).
>>
>>7819858
are you me?
>>
I always just say what I deem to be appropriate conversation points and if/when I get spoken down too for being too uneducated to keep up or make any relevant points, I just politely ask the person who speaks down to me to explain what he means in a more simple way and possibly suggest reading to me to help enhance my knowledge in the future. Politeness goes very far, especially in educating yourself further.
>>
Don't worry about comparing yourself to anyone OP. It won't do you any good to think you are better or worse than your contemporaries. Only aspire to be the kind of person your fellows want to be!

Keep on reading and exploring and you'll be better than yesterday.
>>
>>7824102
I like you. Can I introduce you to my mom
>>
>>7824108
Haha we already met!

Be nice to your mother, even if she is reading Jedi Picoult she's at least reading and keeping her mind fresh!

Don't forget to call your mother and talk to her!
>>
>>7824004
lmao this slave morality

the plebs need to know their place
>>
>>7824181
nothing quite as sad as imaginary superiority.
>>
>>7824316
except the deluded belief that there isn't earned superiority
>>
>>7821922
>IQ of 300
>can't kill one fucking hedgehog
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.