[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was good, boys.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 217x346) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 217x346
This was good, boys.
>>
>>7819643
Is it as self-pitying as Stoner? I liked Stoner but I don't think I would want to read another novel like it.
>>
>This was good, boys.
time to get drunk n stoned boys
>>
>>7819661
do people really find stoner depressing?
normies, man.
>>
>>7819672
If you didn't find Stoner depressing your life must be fucking terrible by comparison.
>>
>>7819661
I don't think so, BC is much less introspective in style.
>>
>>7819661
I've only read Stoner, but in the nyrb introduction the author states that all 3 books could be the works of 3 different authors. So I doubt they have much similarity to Stoner.

Regardless, if you think Stoner was self-pitying you're a moron.
>>
>>7819672
I feel like it's one of those books that either resonates with you or doesn't, and if it doesn't it's pretty meh. I loved it though.
>>
>>7819729
The character wasn't self-pitying. The book was.
>>
File: image.jpg (776 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
776 KB, 1536x2048
This scene was so wonderfully 4chan.
>>
>>7819784
what the hell is this?
>>
>>7819668
Get fucked up and read, get two birds stoned at the same time
>>
>>7819679
>not being depressed reading about a fictitious man whose life didn't go to plan but had moments of real joy at certain points must mean a person's life is shit

Just what mental gymnastics did you carry out to reach that conclusion?

Are you confusing saddening with depressing?

I took away from it a newfound empathy for lecturers and it served as a gentle reminder that life is meaningful.
>>
>>7820684
>it served as a gentle reminder that life is meaningful

That's interesting, Butcher's Crossing does more or less the opposite.
>>
http://youtu.be/KuW87_b9OoU
>>
>>7819732
The book pitied itself?

Williams is all about external forces that you can't control. I don't think it's a plea for pity, but rather a commentary on how people, despite acting rightly, can be forced into situations that compromise their values. You see it in Augustus, you see it in Stoner, and I assume you see it in Butcher's Crossing.
>>
>>7820630
>what the hell is this?

Purple prose
>>
>>7822693
Could not be any clearer that you haven't read the novel.
>>
>>7822166
She looks very awkward and uncomfortable
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.