[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Confessions by St Augustine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Is this overrated? I'm at book V and its had some interesting parts but overrall I'm not sure what really makes it such a "classic"?
>>
>>7819593
It's the most famous and powerful conversion story as well a first of its kind in literature.
>>
>>7819618
>most famous and powerful conversion story
Why? Dude was in a cult, studied, repented, and became Christian. How is it a more powerful story than Paul or even just Tertullian/Justin Martyr? Just because this guy wrote a book about it? Or is something coming up that I haven't read yet?
>>
you're probably not ready
>>
>>7819593
I can't remember who originally said it, but I remember hearing something to the effect of "Kant is a philosopher who seems complex at first, but the more you read him the more simple you realize he is, whereas Plato is someone who seems simple at first, but the more you read him the more complex you realize he is." Well Augustine is the same way. You can read and understand him on a simple level, but you that doesn't mean that there isn't much deeper stuff there as well. Try reading some of the later medieval commentators on Augustine and see if that helps.
>>
>>7819593
I'm deeper than you and let me tell you this, if by book V you don't get how important this work is, you're missing it all.

Augustine set THE standard for Christian thought. I think it was in Book II or maybe III where he makes mention of "original sin"...that's literally the first time anyone ever wrote that idea down.

Dude was HUGE
>>
>>7819593
Are the sins you commit in your dreams sins? Do you often feel that great literature is not composed of difficult questions?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.