[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Thomas Pynchon write any more books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: girlsinhallwaypic.jpg (203 KB, 1191x842) Image search: [Google]
girlsinhallwaypic.jpg
203 KB, 1191x842
It's been 3 years since TBE, and it's pretty old, in his 70s. Do you think he's retired, and just hasn't said anything? Or is he working on some cool, new book?

>implying his 2000s books aren't his greatest yet, entertaining and polished, better than his older, most appreciated stuff
>>
>>7818579
>>implying his 2000s books aren't his greatest yet, entertaining and polished, better than his older, most appreciated stuff
Mason & Dixon and Gravity's Rainbow are his best books. Everything after M&D is dog shit
Probably because 'Pynchon' died in '98
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gaddis
>>
I wonder if his death will be publicly announced, of we'll only find out through a delayed message from his publisher 3 years after he kicked the bucket.
>>
>>7818579

I want him to write at least one more Mason & Dixon, Gravity's Rainbow or Against the Day. Just one massive tome full of his usual whack shenanigans.
>>
Painter demon?

I actually like this image.
>>
File: peirrotlafoupic2.jpg (162 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
peirrotlafoupic2.jpg
162 KB, 792x792
>>7818587

You know, I tried reading The Recognitions, but I thought it was a. kinda boring, and b. not nearly as smart as people said (although it did have a shitload of obscure references in it), so I gave up after 200 pages.
>>
>>7818579
He's known for writing multiple books at the same time, so he'll probably release another novel
>>
He died in 2013, shortly after the release of Bleeding Edge. I know one of his translators, who has had loose contact to Pynchon through his (Pynchon's) wife and agent, personally. When he wanted to ask Pynchon a question regarding the book (he was translating it at the time), his wife told him that he has died a few days ago and asked him to keep that information private.
>>
>>7818587
Gaddis is great but if you think he was Pynchon you belong in the loony bin.

>>7818638
It's not boring at all and if you think it is, you've failed the pleb test.
>>
He's gonna put out a massive deathbed opus.
>>
>>7818673
>failed the pleb test.
wouldn't that mean he's NOT a pleb?
>>
>>7818662
I don't think it'd be possible to keep a public (if reclusive) figure's death secret for 3 years in this day and age.
>>
>>7818579
>implying his 2000s books aren't his greatest yet, entertaining and polished, better than his older, most appreciated stuff

wew
>>
File: pepesection.jpg (301 KB, 540x570) Image search: [Google]
pepesection.jpg
301 KB, 540x570
>>7818611
>>7818662
Pynchon isn't a total recluse. He has friends in NYC who respect him enough to keep his business private, but something as huge as his death is going to leak even if he wants to keep it private, which I doubt he cares about.

>>7818579
I'm expecting one more along the lines of Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge with a title consisting of an eight-letter word followed by a four-letter word.
>>
>>7818662
My dad works at Nintendo. They're working on a video game adaptation of Gravity's Rainbow at the moment, and Pinecone regularly stops by the office to offer advice. So I think you're lying.
>>
>>7818579
hope he does but i'm not expecting top quality stuff. i dug IV much more than BE. he can still deliver the laughs so i wouldn't mind a couple of novels smaller in scope but equally as fun to read as IV and some chapters of BE.
>>
I think his recluse-weirdo status is overplayed by lit. And I think Against the day was clearly the big compendium of unfinished / edited out work.
>>
>>7818678
no
>>
File: lot49.gif (65 KB, 600x902) Image search: [Google]
lot49.gif
65 KB, 600x902
Is this novel any interesting? More correctly, would it be interesting for me?
I am an avid fan of Kurt Vonnegut's novels and generally books inspired by postmodernist views with satire and black comedy in them.

Would I enjoy The Cying of Lot 49? I've heard that it's very complex and "academic".
>>
>>7819466
What a useless post, just read it, it's like 120 pages.
>>
>>7819466
>very complex and 'academic'
You make me fucking sick. Just read it you massive reddit cunt.
>>
>>7819122
>Pleb test
>Asks the question, Is he a pleb?
>Negative
Not a pleb
>>
>>7818579
Hopefully not.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.