[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book good? A friend told me the author is the Brazilian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: the devil to pay.png (173 KB, 234x342) Image search: [Google]
the devil to pay.png
173 KB, 234x342
Is this book good?

A friend told me the author is the Brazilian James Joyce and it got me curious.

Brazilian lit thread, I suppose.
>>
>>7818365
When I found out it wasnt about the Canudos campaign i dropped it. But yeah its on all kinds of lists, so take that for what you will.
>>
>>7818365
It's a fair comparison; James Joyce was a heavy influence on Guimarães Rosa writing.

It also shares a lot of similarities to Ulysses:
To read Ulysses, it's nice to have read the Odyssey before, and be familiar with Dublin's microcosm.

Analogously, it's nice to have read Faust before diving into GSV, and to be familiar with the "sertão" and its mystique.
>>
>>7818425
I forgot to add that reading Guimarães short story book "Sagarana" is a good way of familiarizing yourself with the sertão and what it means for Guimarães Rosa.

Good luck if you're going for it, it's a tough but extremely rewarding read.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.