[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kill me. My teacher is showing us slam poetry. One of them had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: Trust++Me+I'm+White.png (67 KB, 268x367) Image search: [Google]
Trust++Me+I'm+White.png
67 KB, 268x367
Kill me.
My teacher is showing us slam poetry.
One of them had mansplaining as if it were a word.
>>
>>7818042
>mansplaining
?
>>
>>7818046
Sitting with your legs wideishly open on a tram.
>>
>>7818046
Yeah, it's this opredsive thing men do to women wherein they recognize that a woman has much less knowledge than they do, and so they explain something to her as if that's the case.
Of course this is highly oppressive because men need to realize that women should be treated like genius queens, especially when they aren't: it's just being a good feminist!

You also have to keep in mind that once a woman hears a man say big words she knows that she can't understand, she immediately loses interest and starts to focus on other things, besides the information being communicated, and often zeroes in on the tone you're speaking with, because that's something her lesser intellect can comprehend the nuance of.
>>
>>7818056
I was willing to believe it was this
>>7818086
it's prolly this tho

>>7818042
The new incarnation of this is so fucking shit, it makes me miss vocal techno from 90s America. I can see some of the retards writing it today backbiting people who used be slam poetry in the 60s-90s t.b.h. for writing shit with some street smarts
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxVymZxekEw
Zephaniah's the last in the line I've been able to tolerate.
>>
When did slam poetry originated anyway?
>>
>>7818216
flyting (400AD UK) + sanankuya (1200AD W Africa) -> the dozens (1930s US) -> jazz poetry (1950s US and France) -> dub poetry (1970s Jamaica) / zulu nation and battle rap (1970s US and France) / punk poetry(1970s UK)

slam poetry itself starts when you got the prize for the most clicks (slam is used in the sense of 'competitive')
>>
>>7818257
Are there any good artists or are they all shit?
>>
>>7818268
it's a matter of taste, but Shakespeare's got a couple of flyting lines so it's hard to say it's all been bad when the bard calls out your mother.

Most of my faves are in the categories from the 50s/70s
John Cooper Clarke in punk poetry certainly earned his title of the Bard of Salford
www.youtube.com/watch?v=37QUUwp9xIs
Benjamin Zephaniah from dub poetry is better on paper than in performance. That's probably the worst thing you can say about a dub poet, but his poetry does have merits.
Battle rap can be awesome: more burns than a holocaust victim.
>>
>>7818287
Alright, I'm going to check out Cooper Clarke. Thanks.
>>
>>7818056
>>7818101
This is manspreading.
>>
>>7818216
>>7818257
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHXwpky1fVw
>>
>>7818042
>as if it were a word
>2016
>prescriptivist
>>
This was what she showed if you were wondering
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VoYzvQxeE9A
>>
>>7818814
is this an obscure nietzsche reference? or are you just mad at the world and spouting buzzwords at people as if you deserves oxygen?
>>
>>7818801
I never got this. Complaining to your pals about not getting a mate is like, a natural thing? Doesn't mean you feel entitled. The friendzone is a humorous term to describe a common method of rejection, and who isn't disappointed by rejection?

"Nice guys" are pathetic though.
>>
>>7818801
why the fuck are those two white people appropriating the african slam poetry form to whine about white ppl problems like the friendzone? a strong black man is too fly to ever be put in the friendzone u feel me, white ppl problems gtfo
>>
>>7818042
>mansplaining as if it were a word.
as if it's not shitlorde
>>
>>7819010
if it's not a word what the fuck is it then, you dirty prescriptivist
>>
>>7819010
>not being prescriptivist is being part of a cult
are you lost from your brotherhood? did you drink the koolaid?
>>
>>7819419
>not understanding that is prescriptivism
>thinking they missed your point
They're right, anon. You missed their point about what you're doing.
>>
>>7819419
if it's not a word what the fuck is it then, you dirty prescriptivist
>>
bump. slam poetry was a mistake - Bloom/Miyazaki 2016.
>>
How to solve this problem.
Explain how Deaf Poetry evolved into Slam Poetry, and Slam Poetry was reincorporated into rap and hip hop, and how the genre is now being used to promote manufactured social identities through socio-political manipulation; where people are being brainwashed to pick political sides, whether correctly or incorrectly for all the wrong reasons.
End with explaining buzzwords and explain modern hypocrisy.
Then quote Walter Savage Landor.
>>
>>7820939
And the Landor quote?
His poem "Plays".
>>
>tfw english teacher is a sjw cuckold
>got mad at me for using the word man to describe the human race
>looks like a cross between a metrosexual and a hobo
>50 years old and not married
>constantly tells the class about how much of a loser be was in highschool
I'm not even some pseudo-intellectual fedora tipper like most of lit but shit like this pisses me off
>>
>>7821062
I feel your pain.
>>
>>7821062
>constantly tells the class about how much of a loser be was in highschool

What was his point? "Look how cool I am now!" or something?
>>
>>7818784

Tiop guokiu frruys
>>
>>7818801

I did 34 seconds.

Holy fuck that is terrible
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.