[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey did anyone else read this? I read it last year and found
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: book-of-numbers.jpg (64 KB, 427x623) Image search: [Google]
book-of-numbers.jpg
64 KB, 427x623
Hey did anyone else read this? I read it last year and found it underwhelming, but listening to Cohen's interview with Silverblatt on Bookworm is making me want to give it another go. If you did read it, what did you think?
>>
I've not seen a single good thing about this. Anywhere. I haven't any motivation to read it when I have such a backlog
>>
Wow I've never seen this. Less than 500 reviews on goodreads, and a score of 2.88.
>>
I've heard a lot of bad stuff about it.

Would like to read it out of sheer interest but like >>7817592, when there are so many sure things still to read why take a real risk?
>>
>>7817592

Well that's reassuring. I was beginning to think that maybe I'd missed something entirely. He does the whole thing where the protagonist has the same name as the author, and then the protagonist is mixed up with another person with the same name as him, blah blah blah. DFW did this in pale king and did it much better. I thought that I would find it interesting because it's an "internet novel" but I just found it dull. Wouldn't recommend it.
>>
The protagonist says extremely problematic things about women of color, would not read.
>>
>>7817601
This sounds fucking horrible. Did this nigga not get the memo that pomo has been for two decades? Shit is tired.
>>
>>7817629

kek couldn't agree more anon. Thank for reaffirming my contempt for the novel.

Silverblatt has a way of making the authors he interviews sound really smart and the book sound really good, so I briefly thought it might be worth reading again. You all have convinced me otherwise and spared me from wasting time on a bad book (despite no one having read it).

I fell for the "well-researched" meme when I first read it, i.e. 'the author did tons of research, so it must be good!'
>>
>>7817580
I saw a couple of excerpts here and it looks terrible.
>>
>>7817629
There's nothing wrong with pomo techniques, ideas, and styles themselves. It's just that most authors lack the vision to really make them work which makes people assume postmodernism is a one-note gimmick.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.