[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone read this piece of shit? I have to write about it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: shit.jpg (89 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
89 KB, 300x450
Has anyone read this piece of shit?

I have to write about it for class, and while I'm more than capable of doing so, is there anything that any individual on /lit/ would mention that strays from the rudimentary themes and ideas presented?

It is a particularly loathsome work, but work must be done.
>>
>>7817568
lol, i bought it blind at a bookstore once.
i never could get myself to get too far into it.
never got my attention.
>>
Had to get it for class and never read it
>>
>>7817568
Piss off, faggot.
>>
>>7817568
This sort of sounds like you're getting lit to do your homework for you. Especially when I've only ever seen this book mentioned in Highschools. Anywho,...

This is one of those books I really could not get through in Highschool, but I eventually realized that I I didn't really give the book a fair shot because I hated the protagonist so much. If I were to write about it now(for some reason) I would come at it from that angle, or maybe from a historical/global perspective about energy and technology corruption in India. That turns a 'lit' paper into a research paper which might be preferable.
>>
>>7817568
>>7817604
>>7817930

you guys seem to dislike this book quite a bit. this is in stark contrast to the few people (indians) around me who've read it who can't stop recommending this book.

what is so particularly loathsome about it?
>>
>>7817951
Like I said, I found the protagonist really frustrating at the time of reading. He's very selfcentered and quite an antihero.

I got in a really good conversation with my Lyft driver(Uber basically) after a night on the town and we talked about this book and the whole issue of energy/most of the country being really underdeveloped.It makes me want to consider revisiting it.

Keep in mind when I read it I was in highschool and hated literature/didn't read any books(notOP). It might be that Indians are more likely to get behind the protagonist(social differences) or they're just more mature than I was when I read it.
>>
>>7817951
I read about 100 pages yesterday. It's pretty easy reading, and appeals to me as more of an insight into Indian culture than anything else. Most modern Indian lit just doesn't do it for me, Fine Balance and Gos of Small things included.

What is beautiful is the ancient texts. I'm reading a small selection of the upanishads and it is divine - similar to Stirners conception of selfhood or even Kierkegaard but told in lovely analogoes, metaphor and dialogue.
>>
>>7817979

If you have no criticism other than

>I could not empathize with the character

then you are probably reading books in a limited manner. I do not think that the character being an anti-hero or self-centered is a justifiable ground to hate a book. That is quite stupid. (Unless the entire point of the book was that the character is self-centered and an antihero which I highly doubt)

Is there anything else about the book that you disliked?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.