[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gogol Translation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: gogol.jpg (15 KB, 300x359) Image search: [Google]
gogol.jpg
15 KB, 300x359
Ok, so what is the best translation for Gogol? More specifically, for Dead Souls and his short stories. I know P&V is shit, but I have also seen Maguire do penguin classics. Is he good?
>>
>i know p&v is shit

ya got memed on son
>>
>>7817314
how
>>
>>7817430
the meme is that p&v is shit, when its actually ntb
>>
>>7817311
I highly recommend Guerney/Fusso translation
>>
>>7817760
>he fell for the p&v isn't a meme meme
>>
>>7817430
You got meme'd when you took /lit/ this seriously. I mean how easy is it for some dipshit to post that opinion on here? Easy as hell right? To think that idiots don't come here and see that PV hate is one of the most common memes and then proceed to copy it for the sole sake of memeing is just ridiculous. If you haven't read it then there is no reason to just take some anons word for it, read them and other translators and make your own decisions. The truth is that any of the big translations you read are going to be fine with only slight differences.
>>
The hyper literal and blunt PV style doesnt work for a lot of books but its actually pretty good for Gogols short stories.
>>
>>7817311

I have the Everyman editions for both Dead Souls and his Collected Short Stories. I'm certain that P&V did one of them, and fairly sure that they actually did both.

I think they're fine for Gogol.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.