[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Future Reads Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Post books you're considering reading, and then wait for someone to comment on the quality of said books from their own personal experience.

I'm a pretty new "serious" reader, but the books I'm looking into picking up are:
>Min Kamp 1-4 by Knausgaard
>Blood Meridian by McCarthy (re-read)
>Steppenwolf by Hesse
>On the Road by pic related
>Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut

Pretty basic reads overall, what are you looking into /lit/?
>>
>>7817024
if you're trying to into Kerouac I wouldn't start with OTR t b h senpai
>>
>In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
>Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
>The Trial by Franz Kafka
>Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

>>7817024
Only one of those I've read is On the Road. I really wanted to like it more than I did, but there were a lot of parts where was losing interest because he was just describing hitchhiking and saying random American place names as he did it.
>>
>>7817024
>>7817070
Go for the Vonnegut. His novels are all short enough that you should be able to breeze through them in a few days, if not one sitting. A lot of folks on /lit/ shit on him, but just as many love him, and if you happen to be among the latter, the return on investment in reading one of his novels is unmatched.
>>
File: tr0sOm1h.jpg (100 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
tr0sOm1h.jpg
100 KB, 1024x576
This is my To Be Read pile. Anything I should bump up in the queue or skip altogether?
>>
>>7817035
What would you recommend? It seemed the most interesting to me, but if you've got a better suggestion, I'm all ears.
>>
>>7817024
Knausgaard's books are extraordinary, I've read all six in original Norwegian
Blood Meridian I did not care for, Steppenwolf I didn't feel strongly for one way another
On The Road is a masterpiece and must be read
Breakfast of Champions is Vonnegut at his best and a comic masterpiece
>>
On the list:

In Cold Blood
No Country for Old Men
The Secret History
Midnight's Children
The Elementary Particles
>>
>>7817099
Been Down So Long is a personal favorite of mine. Take your time with Farina though, his writing is deceptively simple. Just because it's a book about sex and drugs and .. er, jazz, doesn't mean there's nothing to it. He was influenced just as much by Joyce and Pynchon as he was by hippiesploitation dime novels.
>>
>>7817099
John Dies at the End is pretty bad. Fun though.

I personally hate On the Road, but people like it.
>>
>>7817425
I hated it the first time and loved it the second. My advice to anyone giving it a go is try to disregard everything you know about the 'Beats' and take the novel as a retrospective look at a group of friends and aimless youth who went on a few trips in the late 40's early 50's

There is enough apprehension and nostalgia in Kerouac's voice you'd think this book were the one that ended the 'Beat' generation not started it
>>
>>7817425

>Jdate
>pretty bad
>fun

Pick one

It's all fun

Pleb
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.