[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which version of Moby Dick should I buy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: moby-dick.jpg (486 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
moby-dick.jpg
486 KB, 1024x1024
Which version of Moby Dick should I buy?
>>
all depends on how much you like whales t b h

get the regular one if you really like whales, get the condensed one if you could live without them
>>
>>7816980

I wouldn't even think of a 'condensed' one. I am referring to footnotes, introduction, etc.
>>
>>7816980
kek
>>
>>7816980
Your mom is a whale
>>
>>7816980
lmao
>>
>>7816980
Please tell me a condensed version doesn't exist. I just bought Moby Dick and its like 500 something pages and i thought it was longer, like over 700
>>
File: Many are the Dericks.png (2 MB, 1615x642) Image search: [Google]
Many are the Dericks.png
2 MB, 1615x642
>>7817056
A purely narrative version exists. It's very short.
>>
Do you intend on reading it in English? If so, it doesn't really matter which one you get.
>>
>>7816866
Doesn't matter a whole bunch, but I was impressed by the quality of footnotes in the Barnes and Noble Classics version. It was the cheapest option, as well.
>>
Get the wordsworth
>>
>>7817056
Don't worry, your one isn't condensed. If it was condensed, it'd be more like 250 pages.
>>
>>7817056
It's a good version. (I thought the same when I bought it, actually)

>>7816866
Norton Critical is 10/10 imo
>>
>>7817060
ayy lmao @ the gay sex
>>
>>7816866
Also I might add I got the penguin classics edition and it' pretty good but I think the footnotes/appendices are lacking, there are heaps of references that aren't explained in them.
>>
OP here, ended up getting the Oxford World's Classics version off the Kindle store for under $3. According to some Amazon review, it has decent footnotes. Any reason I should think otherwise?
>>
>>7817594
ehh it's the kind of book that's really fun to have a physical copy of because you can show off but yeah sounds pretty good. i wouldn't worry about the footnotes too much actually, most of the references are pretty understandable if you have slightly-above-average general knowledge
>>
>>7816866
There is a footnote version? Goddamn should have gotten one of them instead of the penguin classic I have. I was really confused with most of the whaling that was described. Even more because I read it in english and it isn't my native tongue.
>>
it doesn't matter, just so long as you get an unabridged one
>>
It looks like the best one is the Norton Critical Editions (Second Edition) of Moby Dick. It has footnotes on the page if that's what you're looking for. Explains things like words,references and the historical setting.
>>
>>7817534
>Norton Critical
This. Footnotes are great for all of the allusions and nautical terminology. Intro seems good and there are some cool resources in the back. I think I came across two or three things maximum I didn't know that weren't noted.

Any edition will be fine though. Just thought Norton critical was the best.
>>
i have that exact cover. i cherish it and love it all my life. it's a little tattered and it just adds to that "this is old as hell" 1800s charm
>>
>>7816980
I love the full version. I think the best chapters are the ones that read like National Geographic.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.