[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some really bad books you've read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: warehousetruckpic.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
warehousetruckpic.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Really horrible books, but you have to have read them cover to cover.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Victor Hugo
A Little Life - I can't remember
Dracula - Bram Stoker
after the quake - Haruki Murakami
To Have and Have Not - Ernest Hemingway

Urgh. What horrible books. I think THOND was probably the worst. No real plot, not much good character stuff, average prose, really, it was about nothing. A Little Life was dreadful too, however, a character-driven book with horrible characters...and it was 700 pages long. I was surprised at Dracula, which is one of the most important horror novels ever written, but which was dull to read, although it did have some entertaining sections.
>>
File: simpsonsnightpicture.jpg (414 KB, 915x1125) Image search: [Google]
simpsonsnightpicture.jpg
414 KB, 915x1125
Come on. I'm sure this board has some read a fair few really bad books. Who hasn't?
>>
A Confederacy of Dunces
>>
>>7815654
Quality opinions there bud.
>>
>>7815737
Nobody on here actually reads.
>>
The last one I managed to read from start to finish was Solaris. I'm beginning to become of the opinion that life is simply too short to slog through a novel when you've a tower of other possibly more worthy candidates at your bedside.
>>
I read a Chuck Palahniuk novel once.

Never again.
>>
>>7815654
What's so bad about To have and have not? Do you like Hem's more popular works?
>>
Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>7815741
Edge
>>
>>7815737
Well we've all read infinite jest
>>
>>7815895
I loved ToHandHnot, a great story with a simple but effective plot.
>>
>>7815654
>mfw I loved Dracula
>>
>>7815654
Blood Meridian was easily the worst thing I've ever read. Even Josh Green is a better author than Corncob "Tortillas" YeCarthy.
>>
Why would you keep on reading a novel you don't enjoy? f you don't like it, just put it down.
>>
Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever? by Dave Eggers.

The first scene (which lasts about 1.5 pages) is pretty funny. It's all downhill from there, and Eggers manages a steep fucking decline in 200 pages.
>>
>>7815654
>The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Victor Hugo
leave pls

pls

leave
>>
>dracula
>terrible
At this point, you should just kill yourself.
>>
The End of Alice - Homes

Awful book. Tries way too hard.
>>
Siddhartha. New age mumbo jumbo hardly written. Pretentious carp. Can't get myself to finish it. Why is it popular here?
>>
The entire Furnace series
>>
Anthem by ayn rand
>>
>>7816363
+1
>>
File: WeAreAllCompletely_paperback.jpg (739 KB, 383x576) Image search: [Google]
WeAreAllCompletely_paperback.jpg
739 KB, 383x576
pic related is hands-down the worst book I have ever read. narrator is a 20-something Mary Sue written by a 50-something author, so the narration and dialogue are cutesy, tryhard, and cringe-inducing throughout. the narrator drops "big words" gratuitously, for the sake of dropping big words, in order to convince the reader she is a genius, and she refers to Skinner, Freud, and other popular academic figures, but as if her 101-level summaries of their ideas constitute some type of esoteric knowledge. characters are 2-dimensional, stilted, etc. no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
>>
As much as I like Vampire protagonists, Interview with the Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Memnoch the Devil. Out of the six or seven books I've read by Anne Rice, she seems really hit or miss.

Interview had the problem where Louis was an insufferable whiny faggot the whole book. He kind of reminded me of when I read Catcher in the Rye in highschool, where I thought he was also an insufferable whiny faggot

Queen of the Damned had the most disjointed storytelling I've yet to see. I fucking hated how we had the perspectives of a few irrelevant characters, a long backstory of Maharet, and everyone giving their input before we got to the regular storytelling for the series two-thirds the way through. Queen of the Damned felt like the rest of the story could've been tacked onto The Vampire Lestat and have the background be it's own book.

Memnoch felt like a cosmological background and a soapbox more than a story. Memnoch spent middle of the book telling us how life came to be and how God's an idiot.

In all three I was just screaming "get on with it."
>>
To Kill a Mockingbird
Anything by Shakespeare
Lord of the Flies was shit too

In grade 3 I read some shitty scifi novel at school I forget what it was called but it was set in the future and there were teenagers and they had these guns that would shoot blobs I think idk fucking weird and shit

The God delusion was ass as well but I got it for $0.25. I was disappointed cause I'm an atheist and I'd heard good things but fuck it's such a bitter and petty book with dry ass bio shit fuck
>>
>>7817042
Also some goddamn awful fucking book our teacher made us read in grade 5 because her husband wrote it, last name is Buja maybe you can look it up it was a rip off of narnia and shit fucking horrible
>>
>>7817049
I looked it up his name is John Buja his books are terrible
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
If you're going to bite my style at least use a better pic...
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.