[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading pic related. In book 3 Nestor speaks with Telemachus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Reading pic related.

In book 3 Nestor speaks with Telemachus about how it would take a long time to tell him what happened at Troy

>but so many other things we suffered, past that count--
>what mortal in this wide world could tell it all
>not of you sat and probed his memory, 5, 6 years,
>delving for all the pains our brave Achaeans bore there.
>your patience would fray, you'd soon head for home...

Am I right to see this as Homer giving himself a pat on the back for the Iliad and disclosing how long it took him to write down? I thought it was a kind of funny self referencing moment and I'm wondering if anyone else had picked up on it
>>
Don't forget that the Iliad covers only a little fragment of the Trojan War.
>>
The illiad covers about 2 months?
Out of 10 years.
>>7815440
>>
>>7815432
Jesus Christ it doesn't count as starting with the Greeks if you're this dumb.

Go spend like 5 minutes figuring out what it is you're fucking reading. Google Homeric question and quit being so dense
>>
>>7815432
>wondering if anyone else had picked up on it

So you have nothing to discuss, nothing to ask, and nothing to say, you just want people to validate how smart you feel for "discovering" such a banality of one of the most studied texts of all time?

What, are you fucking 16?
>>
>>7815831
Well a lot of the discussion seems to have been covered in the intro, including the Homeric question as >>7815827
Mentioned. So I'm not trying to discuss anything grand or novel. This is just something small I noticed and may have misinterpreted. I'm not seeking validation, I'm wondering if the thought had any merit, however banal it may be.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.