[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a failure /sci/, Why does it feel like all of literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1213841779552.png-c200.png (19 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1213841779552.png-c200.png
19 KB, 200x200
I'm a failure /sci/,

Why does it feel like all of literature and philosophy is just fruitless escapism?

I doubt many of you here are actually involved in the field, does anyone use /lit/erary works as an actual driving force for their happiness, given that it doesn't help them with better career prospects or more ladies?

I mean, atm, nothing other than reading Kant, meditating and gyming seems to take my mind of suicide.

Yo no se if this is sustainable.1
>>
>>7814466
Everything is escapism, anon.
>>
The enjoyment of literature is an empty thing.
It is fruitless escapism but it is truer to life than most things, literature or at least the reading of literature is not suppose to be anything beyond this act. They are just moments of fancy.

Happiness is better palpable when the act of enjoyment is no longer about turning away from some other thing, then the act becomes a bit truer to itself.
>>
>>7814475
Second this. People that are depressed are just acutely aware of looming mortality, and the inevitability of the end of existence- to them, diversions from this realization are frivolous and desperate
>>
>>7814509
I think that this is really just the beginning of an existential crisis, and not the lol so random variety. Imagine if everything was eternal, permanent, and you were immortal. The weight of that would crush any sane human being in an instant, seeing time and life stretch out unfathomably. Be thankful we die, anon, and enjoy it while you're here.
>>
>>7814517
The fact that immortality isn't as appealing as we would generally think doesn't detract from the sullen implications of death
>>
>>7814517
Anyway, like you said, we should enjoy and be thankful for our lives. Part of enjoying our time here is investigating the nature of our own existence as well as entangling ourselves in its webs. This means that existing is experiencing as much as it is expounding
>>
Got a blowjob from a cute English major from Brown once cause I recited some John Keats to her.
>doesnt help with ladies

Just get good faggot.
>>
>>7814662
Which Keats
>>
>>7815209
when i have fears i may cease to be, and parts from nightingale and melancholy
>>
>>7815218
Damn she was easy.
>>
>>7815249
sorry senpai its not like i had the entirety of hyperion memorized and ready to go, had to make do with what i had.

it was a pretty nice bj desu. one of the better ones i had.
>>
Literature isn't supposed to be escapism. All escapism is fruitless. Read something good, mate
>>
>>7814466
>Happiness = career prospects and/or ladies

You're right, you don't deserve living desu.
>>
>>7815273
Eh', how old are you before I start taking you seriously?

Too many 20 year olds who have seen nothing of life tend to have the attitude you do.

You realize your career is how you are going to spend more than half your disposable time for half the time you're on this earth right (approx. 30 years)?

Not to mention it's how you manage to eat.

You can't always wing it day to day as a failed writer.

Sorry, I mean, "aspiring" writer.
>>
>>7814662
That is disgusting. Why would she do this?
>>
>>7814509
>>7814517

>diversions from this realization are frivolous and desperate

Very succinctly put. Though as for me my crisis happened years ago. I'd consider myself past it. Though everything I do still has the background of frivolity, its like an elephant in the room. I keep this to myself of course.
>>
>>7815537
by accurately reciting john keats i succeeded in signalling my value to her from a literary/intellectual standpoint, at which point she was willing to engage in sexual acts with me to fulfill her own inner desires without having to worry about devaluing herself by mating with a social/intellectual inferior
>>
>>7814662
greentext it, fgt.

did you recite a couple of lines or the whole thing?
>>
>>7815531
Bro food literally grows on trees and shit
>>
>>7815567
What about healthcare and taking care of your family/having a child?

Internet? Money for books? Living space? Air conditioning?
>>
>>7815555
see >>7815218

the greentxt is boring

>be me
>start greentext with 'be me'
>go to random house party (more like apartment party cause lolnyc) of a friend of a friend
>lot of artsy/literary types
>escape from backroom cause it's filled with marijuana smoke and i don't smoke
>be chilling at kitchen counter pouring a drink
>girl walks up, we make small talk
>"ya i'm at brown, visiting town for the weekend. i study english"
>talk about literary stuff
>she assumes i'm a filthy pleb who doesn't know anything about lit
>challenges me to recite some poetry
>johnkeats.mp3
>visibly impressed
>we hang out for a bit more
>make out in bathroom, get a bj
>never see her again
>don't even know her last name

FeelsGoodMan
>>
>>7815576
you indulged me, which i thank you for
>>
>>7814466
Literature and philosophy (and their manifest traditions) are concerned with exploring questions pertaining to life, existence, experience, knowledge, spirit etc. If you've already concluded answers to these questions, you're gonna struggle to lose yourself in, say, the technical aspects of literature (which will appear purposeless to you).
However, dear anon, I suspect that your conclusions to these questions and enquiries are at least one of the following: incomplete, erroneous, based on false evidence, influenced by a significant emotional component filtered through the medium of cultural appropriation of the ideas of a few thinkers whose thoughts and work you have not independently examined.
What I'm trying to say is that you probably don't know shit, or at least don't necessarily know shit, and so you should get on with finding shit out before you opt out of life.
>>
>>7815531
I'm 32, working and studying, and perfectly happy with my life.
I started being happy when I stopped worrying about having things or a status to prove other people I'm happy.
>>
>>7814466
>/SCI/
>>
>>7815574
>healthcare
>money for books
>being americunt
Kill yourself
>>
File: images.jpg (2 KB, 93x93) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2 KB, 93x93
>>7814466
>/sci/
>>
File: book2.jpg (26 KB, 400x324) Image search: [Google]
book2.jpg
26 KB, 400x324
>>7814662
Did you recite it pre, post or during fellatio?
After all, the devil's in the detail, my good man.
>>
>>7815834
pls scroll up for the greentext
>>
>>7814466

It's the only way to make depression aesthetic
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.