[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depressing Quotes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Eye.jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Eye.jpg
170 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /lit/ I'm feeling blue and thought maybe you could help me feel even more melancholy. Post any depressing quotes from books, authors, philosophers, anything.
>>
But there is nothing enduring in the world, and therefore even joy in the second minute is already not as acute as in the first; in the third minute it becomes still weaker and finally merges unnoticeably with the usual condition of the soul, as a circle on the water, caused by the fall of a pebble, finally merges with the smooth surface
>>
"Tears do not burn except in solitude." — E M Cioran
>>
"...and that boredom is a direct proof that existence is in itself valueless, for boredom is nothing other than the sensation of the emptiness of existence. " - A. Schopenhauer
>>
What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy, and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence? -- even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, a speck of dust!"
>>
everything we do is to avoid suffering, and the reward for our struggle is not pleasure, but nothing more than a lack of suffering, which soon gives way to boredom. it is better to just die, than to struggle hard to acheive te same 'lack of suffering' state.

let me explain, we must work, to produce for our needs, which cause us to suffer if we dont' address them. or needs are things like the weather, water, food, healthcare, hygeine, social contact, sense of meaning, things to look forward to, sex, rest, a comfy place to sit, entertainment. all these things are constantly needed, and if we don't tend to these needs in a constant struggle to try and keep our supply of these topped up, they will deplete and we will start suffering, mild at first but it will get worse and worse, until we die. 3 hours without warmth, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, and we literally die. it's a constant race not only against the suffering of dying, but against all the progressivly worse suffering states that precede it. mild dehydration is suffering, mild hunger is suffer, mild boredom, milk lonliness, it all fucking feels bad. we must perpetually struggle, every single moment of our existence we must act to secure our needs so that we don't suffer. even you, reading this post right now, you are struggling, because simply existence is not enough, life alone is not pleasurable or worthwhile, it has no value, and it soon become suffering - boredom, once all your needs are met, you don't know what to do with yourself. you finally fulfilled all your needs and what is your reward? nothing. all you get is the emptiness that is life. and this emptiness soon gives way to boredom, which you must struggle against, which you are doing now by reading this post.

the struggle will never end while you're alive. every single waking moment, hell you even sleep to remedy the suffering that is fatigue, every single moment you struggle against suffering, and it is entirely for nothing. there is no goal of it all, there is no reward of it all. it's all for nothing. absolutely nothing. and you know what's even worse, the dead are in the same state you're in when you fulfil all your needs - a state where you aren't suffering. it's not positive, but at least it doesn't hurt. That's right, the dead are fucking better off than you are most of the time. so why not die? haha the catch is that you must violently lethally injure your body, reuiring huge amounts of courage, and is terrifying, and horrible.

you are essentially trapped in this hell, forced to struggle against suffering that perpetually chases you, not running towards anything - just running from the suffering, until one day the suffering catches up and takes hold, and it finally achieves it's job of lethally harming your body.
>>
Why so sad, desu senpai? :(

Here's some more encouraging depressing quotations.

“An almost infallible means of saving yourself from the desire of self-destruction is always to have something to do.
Creech, the commentator on Lucretius, marked upon his manuscripts: “N. B. Must hang myself when I have finished.” He kept his word with himself that he might have the pleasure of ending like his author. If he had undertaken a commentary upon Ovid he would have lived longer.”
― Voltaire

“It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else.”
― Arthur Schopenhauer

“What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.”
― Seneca

Daily reminder that thinking life is, in any way, beautiful is a mark of shameless self-delusion or a naive/unrefined/selfish conception of the world.
>>
Sarah Kane 4.48 Psychosis

I've never in my life had a problem giving another person what they
want. But no one's ever been able to do that for me. No one touches me,
no one gets near me. But now you've touched me somewhere so fucking
deep I can't believe and I can't be that for you. Because I can't find you.

(Silence.)

What does she look like?
And how will I know her when I see her?
She'll die, she'll die, she'll only fucking die.

(Silence.)

Do you think it's possible for a person to be born in the wrong body?

(Silence.)

Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you for rejecting me by never being there,
fuck you for making me feel shit about myself, fuck you for bleeding
the fucking love and life out of me, fuck my father for fucking up my
life for good and fuck my mother for not leaving him, but most of all,
fuck you God for making me love a person who does not exist,
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU.
>>
File: 1457211862197.png (161 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
1457211862197.png
161 KB, 500x278
>>7814337
Life is beautiful, since there are beautiful things within it
>>
>>7814212

Land will be useless
Food will become a diminishing return
Nuclear power will be taken over by the many
Explosions will continually shake the earth
Radiated robot men will stalk each other
The rich and the chosen will watch from space platforms
Dante’s Inferno will be made to look like a children’s playground
The sun will not be seen and it will always be night
Trees will die
All vegetation will die
Radiated men will eat the flesh of radiated men

- Charles Bukowski
>>
"Nothing is more miserable than man. Of all that breathes and moves upon the earth."
>>
“I crawled back into myself all alone, just delighted to observe that I was even more miserable than before, because I had brought a new kind of distress and something that resembled true feeling into my solitude.”
― Louis-Ferdinand Céline, Journey to the End of the Night
>>
>>7815590
“And where, I ask you, can a man escape to, when he hasn’t enough madness left inside him? The truth is an endless death agony. The truth is death. You have to choose: death or lies. I’ve never been able to kill myself.”
― Louis-Ferdinand Céline, Journey to the End of the Night
>>
Memory and dream together formed bone, muscle and ligament as the void rejected his being, the senses were rekindled with new sensation, assaulted by sudden awareness while vigour filled his body once again and a familiar old pain flared his sore nerves.
>>
>>7815590
>>7815609

Thank you for those quotes.
I've just ordered a copy of the book. It looks like an awesome read.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.