[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love reading Pynchon stoned. I pretty much only smoke weed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (284 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
284 KB, 750x1334
I love reading Pynchon stoned. I pretty much only smoke weed if I'm going to be reading Pynchon. I read the majority of Gravity's Rainbow stoned and it was an unbelievable experience - the prose was insane. I feel I understood it as well as I wanted to for my first read through, as well.
I know Vineland isn't as good, but I'm trying to read Pinecone chronologically. V. and GR are some of the best books I've read written post 1950's.
>>
I find that Tommy P. makes more sense if I'm high.
>>
I'm calling bullshit on this. Pynchon's prose is like the most unaesthetic thing ever. His narratives are what make him interesting, and I really doubt they can be appreciated while stoned.

>muh enlightening drug meme
Read some poetry on acid instead
>>
Skip to Mason & Dixon. It's the only thing he's written that's as good as V or GR. Against the Day is pretty solid too but I haven't finished it. Maybe check out Tristan Shandy or Barth's Sot-Weed Factor (not actually about weed).
>>
>>7813389
I'm devoted to my Pinecone. I have been meaning to read Barth, I wanted to read Giles Goat Boy. My next book to read is Carpenter's Gothic.
>>
Why can't 'stoners' keep this shit to themselves?
Sage and report
>>
>>7813389
>not about weed

So, FAG literature abouts SERIOUS shit unlike my man tommy p. whos HELLA FUNNY AND RANDOM AF MY MAN smoke WEED EVERYDAY _\|/_
>>
I don't get high a lot and definitely dont read high a lot, but damn blood meridian was an insane read while I was high.
>>
>>7813481
CG is very unique and condensed. Good book.
>>
>>7813511
>boo hoo I'm a faggot

-(You)
>>
>>7813359
>I'm calling bullshit on this. Pynchon's prose is like the most unaesthetic thing ever. His narratives are what make him interesting, and I really doubt they can be appreciated while stoned.
so you've never read him .. right?
>>
>>7813329
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>he doesn't light up a comically large joint before reading pynchon

baka desu senpai
>>
/wastingweed/
>>
>>7813837
Of course he hasn't, barely anyone on this board reads.
>>7813975
My joint isn't comically large unfortunately desu
>>
dude weed lmao
>>
File: lepomo.jpg (137 KB, 900x403) Image search: [Google]
lepomo.jpg
137 KB, 900x403
>see this thread
>decide to smoke weed and read a few pages
>between chimera by barth and infinite meme by jonathan franzen
>pick infinite meme
>smoking and reading
>realize dfw was actually autist
>mfw
>>
Teach me how to roll like you do, OP
>>
File: feelbird.jpg (116 KB, 1170x923) Image search: [Google]
feelbird.jpg
116 KB, 1170x923
i can't read much when i'm stoned, my attention span drops to a complete baseline
>>
>>7814901
I tried reading Oblivion stoned, specifically The Soul Is Not a Smithy, and the first essay in A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and yeah... DFW was definitely autistic.
>>7814938
I've been rolling for many years and used to roll my own cigarettes. Comes with practice.
>>
>>7814938
I'm pretty good at rolling cigarettes.
I was trained.
"Roll me one,"
She asks the kid who doesn't smoke.
"Roll me one,"
The first few times it's a request, until that nuclear winter of a woman sets in.
"Roll me one,"
She stops asking.
"Roll me one,"
She repeats, dismissing the ugly, the bent, the limp, the loose, the tight, the ones who
burn too fast, too slow and especially the ones with paper sticking out over the filter.
"Roll me one,"
She says, throwing the deficient ones at my face with a flick of the wrist, like a small
calibre slap.
"Roll me one,"
She says through her teeth while I smoke the rejected, having been told not to waste her
our tobacco.
"Roll me one,"
She says in bed, smiling, staring at me in a language I don't yet speak.
"Roll me one,"
She says, giggling, while I fumble with the papers, not yet a condom wrapper. "Again,"
she says, inspecting the firmness of the cigarette, her head tilted to the side,
disappointed in my whiskey hands.
"Roll me one,"
She orders between sobs, and again, and again, until the smoke detector dies of
asphyxiation.
"Roll me one,"
She whispers, waking me up from my spiteful sleep in the hallway with a poke of her
pinksocked feet. But after all those years, after the thousands of cigarettes I had grown
something like a spine (likely a tumor).
"Why don't you roll your own?"
She purses her lip for half a second, making sure I notice, and deploys the answer like a
precision strike, having long hoped for a night to come when affection could be
weaponized.
"Because I like watching you roll them for me."
I'm pretty good at rolling cigarettes.
I was trained,
like a dog, by a bitch.
And I thanked her.
>>
>>7813629
>-(You)
lurk moar
>>
>>7813329

Thought I hid this already
Oh it's a repost
>>
>>7815033
What the fuck
>>
Whenever I smoke wed i become extremely anxious and begin to question things about myself and my role in society. I become extremely overly conscious of people's perception, and the things that I say

For this reason I cannot interact with any individual if I am smoking weed, for this reason I have largely given up on it as a drug and moved on.

The idea of smoking and reading is interesting though, is it worth it to pick up some bud and try it out?
>>
all i want to do when i'm high is jerk off and/or listen to music
>>
>>7815943
impossible to answer
>>
>>7815943

Feel the same way. Or used to. Still do sometimes. The best way is to only smoke when you feel accomplished in something. Makes you feel like you've earned the feeling.
>>
>>7815704
>repost
>>
>>7816147
>>>r/r9k/
>>
>>7816282
nice one!
>>
>>7815974
Curious if anyone has had a similar experience, since it seems like a regular thing among other failed normies. Unless i'm horribly confused, /lit/ is full of failed normies who read books.

>>7816009
I knew I always had good expiriences, just couldn't figure out what caused them. The people I was hanging out with, what I was doing, where I was, what strain

now I realize that's the exact situation i'm in whenever I have a good expirience on weed.

Thanks
>>
>>7815033
I like this.
>>
>>7813511
Why cant non smokers keep it to themselves
>>
>>7815033
Hey

Good read
>>
>>7815943
>The idea of smoking and reading is interesting though, is it worth it to pick up some bud and try it out?
Reading something for the first time stoned is hard because it's difficult to concentrate.
But reading something you've read before stoned is awesome.
>>
pynchy definitely burns it down. i wonder what it'd be like to smoke a jay with him.
>>
>>7817171
Probably something like the GW plantation scene in M&D. I wonder if he owns slaves
>>
>>7815033
Is this your writing? Very nice.
>>
>>7816926

No problem m8. Weed is good at helping you figure out when you're being a useless piece of shit.

I'm lucky that I finally have a job I can be proud of so I can smoke weed as regularly as I feel like and now I can just sit down and really relax, let everything rest and just enjoy being stoned and read a bit of whatever I'm on at the moment.

But for years I couldn't. I stopped smoking for nearly 4 years just about because I was stuck in retail and couldn't stand feeling like a failed piece of shit.
>>
>>7815033
man this was actually pretty good
>>
>/lit/ is filled with a bunch of druggies

No wonder this place is shit.
>>
>>7817850
>one thread of degenerates summerize an entire board
>>
>>7813329
I took some Baby Woodrose Seeds (LSA) by the hill station mountains of Northern Tamil. There was this old Australian dude, had this Melbourne-cum-Australian accent and looked like an upright turtle. For some reason, he saw me tripping out by the forest ravines and said "take this". It was his audio book of Gravity's Rainbow. I spent an hour twirled in a sleeping blanket in total joy.

We had the same opinion on Pynchon, the dudes not meant to be dissected or didacticised. He's a rambled, a beautiful yarn spinner spitting tales of rhythm not reality. His themes are there and they're thought out, but his most persuasive one I've seen is his rejection of all of them - the only lesson he gives is the lack of them, and trying to leech onto his "meaning" rather than the vitality of his prose is missing the point.

Also, yes, to answer your question, Hypersphere and Pynchon are the only works I've truly enjoyed stoned. In fact, Hypersphere was the only stoned writing I 've thought was half productive. Hell, the ending I wrote to the book is my thought on Pynchon to a tee.
>>
>>7813582
It was like reading a movie
>>
>>7815033
Damn fine my anon.
>>
can u be pomo without smokin weed?
>>
>>7817913
Nope. Impossible by defn
>>
>>7815033
>staring at me in a language I don't yet speak
reddit
>>
>>7815033
This is some very memorable pasta, which is a sign of quality
>>
>>7817883
LSA is a shit drug imo. I've been sitting on like 50 of those woodrose seeds for years at this point. Weak trip with a disproportionately large amount of physical discomfort
>>
I'm halfway through The Crying Lot of 49, I'm not enjoying myself whatsoever. I was told it would help getting accustomed with the author, but I just don't like the whole premise of a conspiracy tale in that particular setting.

I don't read for plot and while the prose isn't great, it's tolerabale. Does it get better later on, or should I move on to Bleeding Edge and Mason & Dixon, the novels I postponed in order to get accustomed to Pinecon?
>>
>>7818222
>bleeding edge
you're not going to enjoy that if you're not a diehard fan of the pynch
>>
>>7818219
Cut the fuzz off, smoke some weed and it's like being drunk and on acid. A very amnesiacal euphoric body high for me, but I bought the seeds of a Belgian gypsy in Hampi so they may have just been good stock.
>>
>>7818286
I'd rather just do LSD pal. I find it almost impossible to read on acid though. The fact that letters are a bunch of symbols that symbolize something else is too much for me.
>>
>>7818686

Look into microdosing. Wonderful way to use psychedelics.
>>
>>7815033
>>7817023
>>7817081
>>7817652
>>7817841
>>7817890

The fuck is this? So we compliment each other when we do something good now? This is not the chan I fell in love with. This is disgusting.
>>
>>7813329
dude weed
>>
>>7818222
>or should I move on to Bleeding Edge
Why the fuck would that ever be your next choice?
>>
>>7818686
>I find it almost impossible to read on acid though
How? Reading on acid, for me, is the best experience ever. I read Winesburg, Ohio on acid and it got me into literature
>>
>>7819209
Sometimes people deserve praise, you hand-holding faggot.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.