[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the point of the "Yorick's skull" scene
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 192996050.jpg (18 KB, 302x272) Image search: [Google]
192996050.jpg
18 KB, 302x272
What was the point of the "Yorick's skull" scene in Hamlet? Like, it hasn't anything to do with the story, and it's about a character that the audience dosnt see or hear of before or after the scene.
>>
File: 1426620288945.jpg (970 KB, 1262x1065) Image search: [Google]
1426620288945.jpg
970 KB, 1262x1065
What's the point of my life?
>>
>>7812995
He's talking about how funny and jovial Yorick was in life while holding his skull

its a reminder of human mortality
>>
File: DFW5123.jpg (40 KB, 360x235) Image search: [Google]
DFW5123.jpg
40 KB, 360x235
Lol. It's like you haven't even read IJ (Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace*).

*pic related
>>
>>7812995
>it hasn't anything to do with the story, and it's about a character that the audience dosnt see or hear of before or after the scene

I am genuinely embarrassed to have never really considered this before.

Shakespeare is well-beyond the time of the morality play, so I guess it's a display of genuine human frailty a la >>7813019, rather than some indictment of grossness or indulgence on the part of a jester, as it could have been in earlier time.
>>
jesus christ, this thread
>>
>>7812995
fun question to consider: how did he know it was Yorrick's skull in what's presumably something like a communal grave?
>>
Because the groundlings were drunk and the skull helps them understand that yorick is dead.
>>
>>7812995
desu it was so the clowns had a bit part in the play. You had to work most of the troupe in.
>>
so David Foster Walrus could reference it 400 years later
>>
>the interlude between ophelia and her dad and everyone else dying
>scene about death not having a point
>>
yorick was the only person he trusted when he was young

yorick was the court jester, in Shakespeare the jester/fool is the voice of reason, while the gravediggers play the role of the fool in the play

hamlet speaking for the jester is implying that reason has died literally and figuratively when the only thing hamlet says as the jester are the better times
>>
Hamlin just wanted to be goofy with a skull lmao
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 800x400
>>7812995
Yorick represents the Viking kingdom of Jorvick, which had experienced a decline previous to Hamlet's birth.
http://www.viking.no/e/england/york/rulers_of_jorvik.html

It's tempting to view the play as occurring directly after Edmund Ironside's play 'War Hath Made All Friends'.... King Hamlet Sr. would then be King Harald, and King Claudius would then represent King Cnut.

If Hamlet returns to Denmark in 1050, then the jester Yorick would have died in 1027, a year before Cnut/Claudius took Norway... Yet Cnut's son couldn't hold Norway for long, and this might be why Shakespeare is inveighing against the character Claudius/Cnut.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 706x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 706x462
>>7815877
This would mean that Fortinbras is partly seeking revenge for Eric Bloodaxe, who died in 954.

Hamlet may be sympathizing with Fortinbras's motives, even as he prepares to kill Claudius and mount a war against him.
>>
>>7813676
The first clown (the gravediggers who know the identity of, it appears, most of the graves) gets Hamlet to guess who the skull belongs to and reveals that it was the king's jester.
>>
File: image.jpg (295 KB, 1144x721) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
295 KB, 1144x721
If Yorick does represent Jorvik, then we have an early avatar representing York in Shakespeare, before the start of the History Plays.

http://youtu.be/Vk0Qytn6iQM
>>
>>7815877
DUDE TORQUATO TASSO LMAO
>>
>>7816002
Hmm?
>>
>>7812995
after dying we're all the same pile of bones so nothing matters in the end
>>
>>7816006
I think it's a reference to when Pynchon was allegedly visited /lit/. It's a memey compliment if anything
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.