[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 181x278) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 181x278
Thoughts?
>>
File: 1454454781049.gif (895 KB, 772x594) Image search: [Google]
1454454781049.gif
895 KB, 772x594
>>7812987
>>
>>7812987

It was better than Catch 22. The death of the son was predictable, though.
>>
>>7813003
Was the humor better than Catch 22?

Thanks for the spoilers nigga.
>>
>>7813007

How dark do you like your gallows humor? A lot of the people don't think it has any humor at all.
>>
>>7813007
The humor is black to the point that it's not funny at times.
I like gallows humor, but I barely laughed reading this. I just felt like shit.
>>
Heller's a hack
>>
>>7813027
Explain.
>>
I've avoided Heller for the same reason I've avoided Vonnegut. deep insecurity and the fear that I'll be wrong and so not win the approval of my deceased parents who impressed upon me that my worth was tied to my GPA and so created in me a fear of ever being wrong and I have more than a sneaking suspicion that they're hacks.
>>
>>7813011
>>7813022
If this books is a 10 in black humor, what's Catch 22?
>>
>>7813048
Heller is like Vonnegut with a larger vocabulary but far less of a sense of style.
>>
>>7813070
Catch 22 has more humor and less black.
Something Happened has more black and less humor.
>>
>>7813070

I wouldn't call this book a ten, but if so, Catch 22 would be a five.
>>
>>7813070
Catch is more humor satirizing authoritarian control, if serial killer jokes, or Yorickisms about death appear, it's incidental to the story's main focus. SH is much darker in tone comparably.

Neither are particularly funny in modern times. Catch was written before America's sexual revolution, so it's basically the 60s version of a not-that-funny atheist edgelord.
>>
>>7813115
Maj. Major Major Major will always be the pinnacle of humor.
>>
>>7813150
It was an amusing chapter, and one of the GOAT, but it wasn't enough to carry the entire work.
>>
File: good-soldier-svejk.jpg (67 KB, 473x468) Image search: [Google]
good-soldier-svejk.jpg
67 KB, 473x468
I liked Catch-22 when I was fourteen, I read The Good Soldier Svejk a few years back and realized Heller was a copying hack
>>
I love this book so much. I can't think of anything that gets so perfectly into the headspace of contemporary narcissism.
>>
>>7813195
Was it narcissism? It seemed more like existentialism.
Sure, Bob's full of himself, but he spends quite a bit of time wondering why anything happens or matters.
>>
>>7812987
I can't think of a worse title.
>>
>>7813223
My reading of the book was that he was a basically horrible person who struggled to feel any kind of empathy for those around him and just played the game because he didn't know what else to do. Maybe that's not quite narcissism, but yeah, I think the book was intended to satirize the kind of toxic ideas that people have about life and other people in modern society.
>>
>>7813161
I love that book!
>>
>>7812987

I love that book. Heller's masterpiece.
>>
>>7812992
i appreciate you
>>
>>7813161
Well, atleast Heller could finish his book. Fucking Czech writers dieing young baka.
>>
>>7813161
Sjevk was a cheeky lad.
>>
>>7815593
Was he really an imbecile, or was he merely pretending?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.