[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are the best vietnam war books? fiction, poetry, non-fiction,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: the things they carried.jpg (30 KB, 332x500) Image search: [Google]
the things they carried.jpg
30 KB, 332x500
what are the best vietnam war books? fiction, poetry, non-fiction, etc.
so far I have
Meditations in Green - Stephen Wright
Dispatches - Michael Herr
The Things They Carried - Tim O' Brien
Dien Cai Dau - Yusef Komunyakaa
Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Soldiers - Terry Wallace

I'm thinking of teaching a class on the vietnam war and was wondering if you would recommend anything more.
>>
In Pharaoh's Army-Tobias Wolff

you're welcome
>>
>>7812560
oh this sounds wonderful

I should specify it would be Literature of the Vietnam War*
>>
>>7812558
The Quiet American
>>
I'm reading the Matterhorn right now, definitely a standout IMO. Definitely a bit more gritty than TTTC or FoF.
>>
>>7812558

The Sorrow of War, by Bao Ninh
>>
>>7812622
will check out someday but
>600 pages
that would take a month to teach
>>
>The Sorrow of War, by Bao Ninh
this sounds fantastic too
>>
>>7812558
Tree of Smoke

Fields of Fire -- maybe a little downmarket but worth a read

A Bright Shining Lie

Hanoi's War -- The author is obnoxious but it does give the whole thing a more authentic feel and it's truly a great compilation of NV's perspective.

Dereliction of Duty -- McMaster doesn't support his thesis about the JCS IMO but actually a pretty good examination of how the US got involved.
>>
>tfw can't wait for books about US drone strike operators who get high on savlia and blow up kids
>>
>>7812637
I recommend this as well
>>
File: 9781883011581.jpg (20 KB, 210x331) Image search: [Google]
9781883011581.jpg
20 KB, 210x331
I remember picking this up, leafing through and being impressed.
>>
The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam journalism about US Vietnam policy
>>
the things they carried is a lot of charlatanry
>>
I was recommended From Achilles to Vietnam but I think that mostly related to how PTSD has been seen throughout history
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.