[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where is all the great literature of the 21st century? The second
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 4209.jpg (247 KB, 620x338) Image search: [Google]
4209.jpg
247 KB, 620x338
Where is all the great literature of the 21st century? The second decade is in its waning half and yet there is nothing comparable to the doorstoppers of the early 20th century. When did writing become kill?
>>
All of culture has become a garbage dump
People have to focus on paying their next rent instead of their self-development
I blame neoliberalism, the toilet of ideologies
>>
>>7812548
That's because publishers only publish shit that they think can sell to the mainstream masses. There are good books being written, but they are all in the underground/indie world. Bizzaro fiction is still coming on strong.
>>
>>7812548
>there is nothing comparable to the doorstoppers of the early 20th century

Fuck doorstopper novels tbhfam
>>
>>7812548
There were more publishers back then. More publishers = more variety. Also, books were a big medium back in the 20th century. It's a medium that is dying out due to technological advancements. To be frank, it's been downhill ever since the TV came along.
>>
>>7812548
>What is Middle C
>>
>>7812548
It's not literature, but Breaking Bad, maybe? I don't know.
>>
>>7812548
Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like nearly all art-forms and mediums, from music to novels to games, have becomes so excessively commercialized recently that quality and innovation has declined sharply.

The best material now generally comes from the fringes rather than the mainstream as it previously did.
>>
File: 1456149310723.png (633 KB, 1061x1049) Image search: [Google]
1456149310723.png
633 KB, 1061x1049
>>7812732
>>
>>7812754
Calm down, Brice, you're drunk.
>>
>>7812743
I concur
>>
>>7812743
Romanticism and modernism began as fringe movements. Look at the early reception of Lyrical Ballads or Ulysses.
>>
Gaskun should have something out soon.
>>
>>7813219
They began on the fringe, as does nearly everything bringing innovation, but became mainstream eventually.

Rock and rap, for instance, both began on the fringe.
>>
Elsa Ferrante and Karl Knausgaard, maybe?

No one has time to read all the new shit coming out. The classics of this era will surface a few decades from now, probably.
>>
>>7813412
>Elena Ferrante

She is an honest writer, but those novels are hella boring.
>>
But 2666 is exactly that.
>>
The thing is you are probably waiting to be told what are the next great books, like the memester you are, instead of actually branching out and reading new stuff by up and coming writers from all over the world.
>>
Lit by Mary Karr. I don't care much about DFW's personal life but they dated, and ironically enough Lit is a masterpiece of New Sincerity.
>>
>>7813412
>No one has time to read all the new shit coming out. The classics of this era will surface a few decades from now, probably.
This. It takes time to mull things over and see what still holds up.
>>
>>7814025
read literary journals and learn your shit you lazy plen, how can you expect to ever have a valid opinion on the present moment which you currently inhabit
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.