[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are sci-fi authors like Philip K. Dick, J. G. Ballard and William
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1449914122313[1].png (659 KB, 607x945) Image search: [Google]
1449914122313[1].png
659 KB, 607x945
Are sci-fi authors like Philip K. Dick, J. G. Ballard and William Gibson memes, or actually worthw reading? I like sci-fi movies and would like to read more in the genre.

Recommend me 'literary' sci-fi.
>>
>>7811660
If you bought into the meme that genre fiction is not worth reading, you are probably already beyond saving.
>>
>>7811663

I'm not. Rec shit.
>>
>>7811660
Dick is good, but Gibson has aged like milk.
>>
why don't you read them and find out
>>
>>7811674
Ballard was mentioned by Baudrillard in Simulacres and Simulation.
Postmodern theorists such as Brian McHale have repeatedly said that science fiction is an integral part of postmodern literature (Gravity's Rainbow was nominated for the Nebula in 1973).

That said, "science fiction" is a pretty wide brush to paint things, the same way "literary fiction" is. A lot depends on what you are looking for more specifically.
>>
>>7811700

I like pomo. Reading Pinecone is actually what's making me want to read more sci-fi. And I was big on Vonnegut when I was younger. So consider that a starting point for the sort of stuff I'd want - stuff that's a bit weird and not too technical/hard sci-fi with an off-kilter humour and atmosphere to it.

I only mentioned those authors in the OP because they're the only ones I know of who seem to exemplify this branch of sci-fi.
>>
>>7811660
Sci-fi is a meme. Steer clear.
>>
>>7811728
Well they are kinda different branches of sci-fi, but whatever.
Off the top of my head I'd say Vurt by Jeff Noon and Dhalgren by Delany.
>>
>>7811728
Le Guin is pretty good so long as you aren't triggered by leftism and feminism.
>>
>>7811728
You'd like PKD. He uses the science fiction elements of his stories in a sort of allegorical way to express the experiences of his mental disorders
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.