[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>literally autism: the book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
>literally autism: the book
>>
>>7810873
I would argue it's more someone who's fundamentally flawed and sadistic. Autism is a lack of connection through a lack of understanding, he understands the world but takes it all to himself. It's as if he blames the world for hurting him and then he hurts the lowest among us.
Not autism Anon
>>
Literally not
>>
File: angry.png (17 KB, 374x208) Image search: [Google]
angry.png
17 KB, 374x208
>mfw someone jostles me on the street
>>
>>7810879
i was just using buzzwords and meme arrows to start a discussion :^)
but yeah I just finished reading it, and his personality/psyche is so interesting and also relatable.
I loved the ramblings at the end. Like his contempt for normies makes him afraid of normal emotions, and therefore he has to intellectualize/overexplain everything he feels.
>>
more like /r9k/ the book
im thinking especially of the extremely bitter, long-held grudges over very trivial incidents
>>
>>7810925
>im thinking especially of the extremely bitter, long-held grudges over very trivial incidents

Hypersensitivity and an obsessive desire for justice is a sign of a patrician human being. Resentment is the emotion of the genius.
>>
uh yeah that's why it's a classic
>>
wasnt it implied he took part in all kinds of debauchery and stuff?
>>
The character of the Underground Man is very interesting (and worth discussing), but keep in mind that it is not the most important part of the book.

In 'Notes,' Dostoevsky is criticizing Chernyshevsky's idea of utilitarianism presented in 'What Is To Be Done?' The most obvious reference is the crystal palace motif. For Dostoevsky, freedom of choice is the greatest good for any individual. He seems to believe that any ideology that presents a pre-set path to happiness (referred to as 'cheap happiness') for humans undermines the value of the individual. Dostoevsky claims that any person, when presented with 'cheap happiness,' would choose 'lofty suffering' (manifested in the UM character) to keep their freedom of choice. It's presented as a sort of extreme case in 'Notes,' but I agree with his idea in general.
>>
File: 'best of' threads.png (178 KB, 293x470) Image search: [Google]
'best of' threads.png
178 KB, 293x470
>>
tfw too much self awareness to synthesise into working self.

Such aGENIUS

seriously though
>>
>>7810873
could not agree more, it's just a seething pile of autism from a bitter individual mad at happy people
>>
This is a good
*uuggghhhh*
thread sorry just
*hnnnng*
having a lil poopy right now
*blushes*
oh that smells nice
*hrrrrrrr*
*hnnnnnnn*
*plop*
o teehee excuse me uh oh
*blushes*
a little got on my underwear silly me
*licks underwear clean*
>>
>>7811707
nice
>>
File: 1453017232270.jpg (62 KB, 640x702) Image search: [Google]
1453017232270.jpg
62 KB, 640x702
>>7811707
>>
>>7811299
lel shit, saved
>>
Oblomov and A Hero of our Time are both vastly superior.

Then again, I only read the P&V translation of notes.
>>
OP here
this thread turned into the perfect mixture of serious discussion and shitposting i was hoping for
>>
>>7811758
Oh wow, you mean to say this is a /lit/ thread?
>>
me: the book
>>
File: notes from underground2.png (1 MB, 1602x663) Image search: [Google]
notes from underground2.png
1 MB, 1602x663
>>
>>7811751
Why would you even compare them? Completely different subjects my friend
>>
>>7810873
It's not a book, it's a novella.
>>
>>7811812
you're a cunt
>>
>>7811812
>literally autism: the post
>>
>>7810939
>Le Redeker was right
>>
File: autist-sperged.jpg (14 KB, 178x283) Image search: [Google]
autist-sperged.jpg
14 KB, 178x283
I haven't read that one from Dostoyevsky, but as a psychology undergrad I am becoming more and more convinced about pic related being the true gran autismo.
>>
>>7811966
Very good. Thorough, insightful I mean I think you have a very bright future my friend. Truly, congratulations I mean it.
>>
>>7812229
Fuck you, cunt.
>>
>>7812259
Yes, I see and that can be good. In many ways already it's actually fine. Look, not to throw something or lead, but there is great potential here. Seething and pretty good, nice work, thank you.
>>
Dostoyevsky was the best author of the 19th century
>>
I struggled to get through the last 20 pages or so because I saw what was coming with Liza and it was too painful. Hits waaaay too close to home.
>>
>>7811276
I think there is more to the character than that. I think the book is also meant to show that manufacturing an unhealthy existential position
is still unhealthy, even though he willed it. I saw it as an affirmation on the necessity of something outside of the self to hold onto it.
>>
>>7812797

Just so you know, this guy >>7812259 wasn't me (unless you're the guy who's ghostfagging me, and in that case, you already know).

>>7812229

Thank you, that's a very warm thing of you to say.
>>
>>7813410
Indeed, well, here it is. Terrific really couldn't be more impressed and, just, pleased in general. Frankly, I'm convinced.
>>
File: 1441055723965.png (54 KB, 628x491) Image search: [Google]
1441055723965.png
54 KB, 628x491
>>7810917
>Like his contempt for normies makes him afraid of normal emotions, and therefore he has to intellectualize/overexplain everything he feels.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.